PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
That's awesome! The pilothouse came out pretty good with only 10 sides! Nice job.
CT
Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks CT!! Not finished yet! Once done I shall take some nice photos in a suitable ACW setting as per your 'landing party' idea!

Have done the paddles this evening and will take photos tomorrow and dig out the paints etc to finish her off! Fingers crossed I'll find time to finish her off tomorrow. Landing party photos will probably have to wait for another day though. I really like the design off this one. I particularly like the way the paint isn't monotone...or I suppose that should be monocolour?! The paddle boxes are great and the funnel too.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 AM

Thanks. I am still learning the whole "weathering" bit, and on that white I had to do something!

CT
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Have taken some photos in a staged landing. Will hopefully upload later when i get home! Xx
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM

A few photos of a union landing. Union troops disembark and form up intending to outflank the confederate shore batteries. The two guns on the Thomas Freeborn support the advance by firing on the Confederate trenches.

The eagle eyed may notice a few palm trees. This is because I had already set the table up for a Rif war game and just rearranged the end of it to set up for a photo shoot!
Attached Thumbnails
USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0044.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0045.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0048.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0036.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0037.jpg  

USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0038.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0039.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0040.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0042.jpg   USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-dscf0043.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 AM

OK, thats cool. I have never done that kind of war-gaming. I have played axis and allies but never anything like this. It is a cool deal. I am guessing paper models must help a lot as you can make as many ships or whatever as you need rather the buying them each. Although, I can see why you buy the figures.

Looks like if you had the room and the players you could burn up a weekend pretty easily and still not finish a game!

thanks for the post my friend.

Corey
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Very cool. Something I always wondered about. Paddlewheelers waste energy. When you think about the design they only convert energy towards forward motion when the paddles are in the first half of their rotation in the water. The second half they are lifting the water with very little devoted to forward moton. They could easily have made them more efficient if they hinged the paddles so they slowly rotated backward remaining vertical until out of the water. That way all their energy is cotributing to forward thrust. Does that make sense? I don't think the engineering would be that difficult to achieve. Oh well too late I guess I was just born in the wrong century.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Bionic Modeler, you have it right!
Actually they did have some paddle that had a "spider" gear and hinged paddles that would keep the paddles vertical the whole time it was in the water. The wheels were a lot more efficient and as a bonus for blockade runners, this type of paddle wheel was far more quiet when entering the water. But, they were also more expensive and required a bit more to maintain their proper function. Also, a single shot could dislodge the hole thing, where as in a standard wheel, many paddles needed to be shot away to ruin it's function. So for small coastal and river steamers, and Military steamers, plain wheels were in favor. But for ocean going ships, the spider gear paddles were popular.

CT
Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 PM

This old girl had the pivoting paddles you describe. I wish I had a shot of the paddles.
She was a steam powered lake ferry on lake Champlain, now in the museum.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
USS Thomas Freeborn 1:150 build-ticonderoga.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.37 MB
Thomas Freeborn

Hello ct ertz,
Where can I get this model? I have tried ecardmodels and can not find it there. Help!
Thanks
Baggs
Google Adsense