PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
teaching papercraft at sleepaway camp - this year its ships.

I've been asked to run a class in paper modeling again this year. I've put together a few that should be good for some beginner modelers:

This and some Mystery Machines, Delta 7's mercury Redstone, and some bird models should make a nice set for people to make.
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Excellent! I wish someone had helped me with this hobby when I was young, back when my eyesight and coordination were better ...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM

I'll teach 1-2 dozen at a time. 3-6 models will actually be completed, and each time I've done it I've been lucky to have one kid that does it with the right attention to detail, aka "gets it". As in the fun is not necessarily finishing it, but in the build itself. They work the model to the best of their ability. Those are the ones that make my day.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
That Conqueror ship looks good! Hope the kids like it too!

Last edited by legion; 08-19-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Stupid me said the wrong name...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
That Conqueror ship looks good! Hope the kids like it too!

I think a lot of parents are gonna be finishing quite a few of those this week... Its a great model. I got that one and the Core ready for the kids. Thanks for making it available. My son gave it an approving thumbs up when he saw it. He said it reminded him of the the space battleship yamato. actually now that I think about it, if you put a square block directly in the stern of this ship, you could make an extension piece for this ship that would be awsome. the front of the extension piece could be "U" shaped to lego-style match the back end of the Conqueror ship, and have the socket for the square block to lock in the conqueror to the extension piece. I bet a really nice compliment to the SBY could be made (cut the big gun in the conqueror in size by 50%, and duplicate xxx number of times all over the extension piece...)
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
Jonathan,
It is great that you are passing along the hobby to a new generation. I build simple models with my niece and nephew when they visit. I hope to get them thoroughly hooked one day.
Where did you get that paddle wheel steamboat in the photograph?

Bill Kastenmeier
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Jonathan,
It is great that you are passing along the hobby to a new generation. I build simple models with my niece and nephew when they visit. I hope to get them thoroughly hooked one day.
Where did you get that paddle wheel steamboat in the photograph?

Bill Kastenmeier

http://www.thetoymaker.com/Toypages/...leSteamer.html

I modified it for more advanced builders by double printing the wheel assembly and making spacer parts so the wheel is sticking out from the body. It can be built either way. the smoke is simply a Q-tip with the cotton pulled out, and sewing string for rigging.

BTW, the entire egiftshop is designed with the idea to get kids to be creative...
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
I think a lot of parents are gonna be finishing quite a few of those this week... Its a great model. I got that one and the Core ready for the kids. Thanks for making it available. My son gave it an approving thumbs up when he saw it. He said it reminded him of the the space battleship yamato. actually now that I think about it, if you put a square block directly in the stern of this ship, you could make an extension piece for this ship that would be awsome. the front of the extension piece could be "U" shaped to lego-style match the back end of the Conqueror ship, and have the socket for the square block to lock in the conqueror to the extension piece. I bet a really nice compliment to the SBY could be made (cut the big gun in the conqueror in size by 50%, and duplicate xxx number of times all over the extension piece...)
Funny that you mentioned the Yamato...

I once made third party units for the game and one of my creations was a large ship called the Yamato. Similar in concept too, big main laser gun (here on the main tower), heavy regular guns and an air repair pad (though initially it had missiles too, but that didn't work script wise.). The Core Kisiragi (as can be found on my site) is the Core variation with a weaker laser. The cannons are the same as found on the Daybreak/Nightfall ships.

The attachment is the Yamato command cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
teaching papercraft at sleepaway camp - this year its ships.-armyamato.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 PM

good yamato!!! this is along the lines of what I was thinking :
Attached Thumbnails
teaching papercraft at sleepaway camp - this year its ships.-simple-core_dsc03182.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM

I got the idea, but it is not really the style of the game (where i base my models of) to have modular units. It CAN be done though. But it is easier to design a modular based 'race' from the ground up, with their own style. The game mechanics do allow units to fire when loaded onto transports, if the transport units were designed to allow this. But this would only work good on ships or large units.
Google Adsense