PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I changed from 6-0 to 8-0 for the bulk of the rigging that you see in the attached photos. She is rigged for early in her life before the multiplicity of antenna lines for wireless could be imposed. There is a small amount more of rigging that I will do and then will move on to finishing the railings.

Also added were braces under the bridge.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Carl's build thread or I'm not hiding my ball I'm building Charles Martel-p2070007.jpg   Carl's build thread or I'm not hiding my ball I'm building Charles Martel-p2070008.jpg  
Old 02-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
This model just gets better and better! The rigging presents an excellent visual representation without being too bulky. Thanks for the rigging techniques you included. Every one of your models is also a tutorial on design and building techniques!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Thank you Ron. I believe that I got better at it as I went along. I should point out that there can be many more lines attached than I will do. I plan only to rig the lines from the foremast to the spars and leave it. Also some of the lines should be doubled since they were used for hoisting signals. Given the scale I decided to rig it to be sort of "medium" rather than spare or cluttered.

My eventual technique turned out as:

Start at the top and use a slip knot with a dot of CA to hold it.

Run the line down to the next spar if it didn't go direct to the structure and do a simple loop. hold the line and loop taut with a clamp. I should point out that this would be an "inside" loop where the line as it wraps around comes out on the inside of the line running down. It holds the wrap in position this way.

Poke a small hole in the deck, if it attaches to a deck, or make a tiny slice with an knife in an edge if that is where it fastens. Not a slice big enough to be seen but more of a "suggestion" so that the line will stay in place.

Remove the clamp and run the line through the hole or the slice and reattach the clamp so that the line now runs taut from mast to spar to hole/slice. Dot the loop on the spar with CA and put a surrounding drop of Allene's (white glue) on the hole/slice. Leave the clamp on to keep the line taut while glue dries.

I always attempted to do this rigging in sets so that the different lines balanced and the last taut line wouldn't pull any others slack. I suppose that if I really had my stuff together I would run ALL the lines from a mast through to the final clamping before gluing any so that they could all find their own comfort zone.

(mini-tutorial on Carl's quick and dirty method of rigging with 8-0 thread now complete)

I found it interested during my study of the rigging that there are no stays to support the masts. Rather, the upper masts are supported by the suspension lines attached to the three short poles under the upper tops. Apparently the masts below this point were solid enough with their iron construcition.

Carl
Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful model.

Excellent rigging tutorial. I've saved it along with the many others of your tutorials. I use a lot of the techniques I learned from you (results may differ).

Don
Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Amen to that, Don, my results are gonna differ too The true sign of a master is that they make it look easy.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Lots of great information here on rigging, and great looking views of Charles Martel. I don't want this build to end, but I can see it won't last forever. I'm just hoping you do another of these old French Masters. There is nobody else doing them.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 02-07-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Well, first of all, I called it "quick and dirty" because I am certain that the real sailing ship riggers could do much better and would shiver in loathing at the thought of using white glue to hold things in place... not that I would even if I did build one of their highly detailed masterpieces.

Second, I make it look easy because it is! Just slap a knot of any kind over the topmost fastening and glue it down. Loop everything else on the way down and put a small amount of tension on it and let the WG do its work.

OK, I'm leaving out the cussing that goes with working with 8-0 thread while wearing bifocals and discovering that everything would be perfect except that you managed to capture a 47mm gun on the way down. Well, I didn't actually have that problem because I was sober enough to pay attention. But still.

As for more old French pdbbs, they will happen. I'm wrapped up in Inflexible right now for design and I desire a central citadel battleship so I suppose that it will happen. Although I think that Colossus/Edinburgh are more attractive and Agamemnon so ugly that even a mother would slap her. But I have the plans for Inflexible so I suppose that's where I shall build.

I have a very strong desire to build Carnot and Renaud is helping with his usual extraordinary exploratory work to expand references. There exist NO overall plans of this poor ship so I would be inventing even more than I did for Charles-Martel.

Carl
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Do you know of any kits of French pre-drednaughts available out there?
Mike
Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Not of battleships. There is the recently released kit of Dupuy de Lome and the old 1:400 JSC kit of D'Entrecasteaux.