PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelnut View Post

I can find no information on what ship stood in for the Lydia. Could this be the one?

- Leelan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...Hornblower_R.N.
The film was shot in studios inside the United Kingdom, at HMS Victory, and on locations in France. To save costs, the Hispaniola set from the 1950 Disney film adaptation of Treasure Island was reused as the frigate HMS Lydia. However, the ship was rocked instead of moving the horizon background, which caused many problems because of the combined weight of ship crew and equipment. The Italian brigantine Marcel B. Surdo represented the The Witch of Endor for all at-sea exterior footage. The Marcel B. Surdo would also appear in such seafaring films as The Crimson Pirate, The Master of Ballantrae, and John Paul Jones.

MARCEL B. SURDO (Ital. Brigantine)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Model of The Lydia
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.39 MB
Thanks, Matford!

I already have the Revell kit coming to me though the mail. Here is what she is supposed to look like when she is built according to the directions:

Hmm. She has a boat hanging over the stern just as the Lydia does in the movie. That's a good sign!

BTW, just in case anyone is interested, the Revell kit, Revell Germany - 1/200 Portuguese Frigate "D. Fernando II e Glria"
has been repopped by Zvezda as the Acheron from the movie Master and Commander. Here is a review of the Revell kit: Dom Fernando II e Gloria - Maritime Reviews - Britmodeller.com

Still digging up the Internet for more info.

- Leelan
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
There is also the series they did on A&E several years ago. Although there is no mention of the Lydia, only the Hotspur. Amazon.com: Horatio Hornblower - The Complete Adventures: Ioan Gruffudd, Robert Lindsay, Dorian Healy, Michael Byrne, Robert Bathurst, Duncan Bell, Paul Copley, Sean Gilder, Simon Sherlock, Chris Barnes, Jamie Bamber, Colin MacLachlan, Andrew Grieve,
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Once I got hooked on Hornblower I really got hooked! I have all the Forester books and the companion book. A bio of the "real" Hornblower. Several Georgian navy reference books as mentioned above. I even have a book about wooden ship models somewhere --- I've moved a few times since I acquired it so I am not too sure where it is right now . . .

I have Gregory Peck's movie on VHS and DVD. And I have the entire A&E series as well.

- Leelan
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Here is a comparison of a finished Ferdinand/Acheron vs the plan of the Marcel B Surdo.

Looks pretty close I'm thinking. Even the Gallery or Captain's cabin looks almost spot on!

I think this will work!

- Leelan
Old 09-09-2012, 03:25 PM

I'm working on making a fiddlers green style model of the Surprise
But now thinking of doing some little waterline Ships from books; Lydia, Indy, Hyperion, ect.
I work in a library and am doing a display of Sea adventures and nonfiction books in december
Am hoping to make this too
My LEGO creations : MOCpages.com
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Very cool! Get more people into reading. Too few people think it strange that I read so much.

- Leelan
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM

LMFAO!

Google Adsense