PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.39 MB
Need advice.

Chuck said that I should come here for answers so her I am.
I have seen a lot of great work done here. Even more impressed because a lot of it is from scratch!

Here is the deal. I have wanted to build the HMS LYDIA from C.S. Forester's Beat to Quarters for about twenty years now. I read the Horatio Hornblower books in college and became absolutely hooked!

I just bought Revell Germany - 1/200 Portuguese Frigate "D. Fernando II e Glria" since it looks so much like the LYDIA as seen in the Gregory Peck film.

Chuck says there will probably be details on the Portuguese ship that existed from 1843 - 1845 that just would not be on a British ship in 1807. But I don't know what those details might be. Could someone here help me? Point out where I might hunt for information?

Here is a collage of what I have found online:

The top two are generic 36 gun frigates and probably British since I put "British 36 gun frigate" in the search engine. The lower left is the Revell kit. And the lower right is the LYDIA as seen in the Gregory Peck film, Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. (1951) - IMDb .

I know this is not a paper model. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Leelan
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
This is not an area where I am very good, but I'll definitely be following this topic
Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Modelnut:
I think that you also need to go to a good library close to you and search for a compainon book that was done about 20 years ago about the Hornblower universe, I cannot remember who wrote it but it had good pictures and discriptions. I have been rereading the A Kent books so I am rusty about Hornblower I remember that the "L" was a captured French 36???
Looking forward to this project,
MILES
Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 PM

DOH!

Now that you mention it. I have a library. Around 3000 books.

I just pulled three from the shelves that might serve, The Visual Dictionary of Ships and Sailing, The Line of Battle: The Sailing Warship 1650-1840, and , last but not least, Hornblower's Navy: Life at Sea in the Age of Nelson.

It has been a long time since I read them or even thumbed through them. But I don't recall seeing anything about British quirks concerning rigging or ship's furnishings. All I remember is that the British tactic was to blast the enemy hull, close and board. The French aimed for your sails and men.

I might skim through Beat to Quarters while I'm waiting for the model to arrive. Couldn't hurt.

I will keep you posted. Is there another place in the forum for non-paper subjects? I don't want to drag you guys too far away from topic.

- Leelan
Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Yes, under the "Bar and Grill" area, is a section for "Other things we do and Make". Should be just fine.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks, Ray,

I do that when i start.

- Leelan
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
The Horatio Hornblower series is also a favorite of mine. You should give also read Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series.

Hornblower is set during the Napoleonic wars from the 1800 through 1812. The Royal Navy would generally use prize ships captured from the French and the Americans. The Spanish and Portuguese warships were not as advanced and were not commonly used by the Royal Navy. I would go with a ship that has a sharp prow this type of ship was prized because of its speed over the blunt prow of the Spanish ships. In the end it's all up to you with the exception of the HMS Indefatigable commanded by Sir Edward Pellew the ships are all the figment of yours and C.S. Foresters imagination.

Shipyard has a paper model of a fifth rate 28 gun Frigate "HMS Enterprise".

SHIPYARD Fascinating Ship World

At one time this model was going to be released as Aubrey's HMS Surprise it would be an excellent choice for the HMS Lydia. Warning the Shipyard models build up in the same way as a wood ship model.

Jim Nunn
Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 AM

Wow!

Thanks, Jim. That looks to be a very snazzy model. If I go for her I would pick the $104 kit. Why settle for just the plans if you can get some major parts laser cut, right?

I found a US supplier and I am saving the link. It might be a tax return present to myself.

- Leelan
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Just found a build blog of this kit: MODELSHIPS & WORLD IN SCALE: HMS Enterprize (Part 4)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
The Horatio Hornblower series is also a favorite of mine. You should give also read Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series.
I'm sure Jim must have meant to include the Lord Ramage series by Dudley Pope in his recommended reading list.
Arguably the best of the genre. Dudley Pope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Google Adsense