PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 933.7 KB
Send a message via MSN to josbakkers
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman

As promised a topic on the carrier Fred build and descriped so wel.
Since this is a Kit (reprint) from the early sixties it"s not so well detailed as we nowaday"s are used to,so I tried to give Her more detais which I mostly collect from the internet site's .
Hope You will enjoy the picture's.
Start with making G-decks so cut out al the openings in the hull and then building litle boxes so one can't see true.
Then painting them grey or detail them .
Before I forget I used 2 kits ,if one want to Copy the kit it has to be done twice since Copiing gives a color difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0106.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0107.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0108.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0109.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0110.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Following step is the Filght deck,on the previous Picture one can see that the Hull is reinforced with a few more frame's neccesary since we made a lot of extra hole''s in the Hull.
Glued the Flightdeck on 0,5 mm cardboard and then cut out the openings
for the Halfdeck gangway's which one is building from the second kit.
After mounting the deck one has to build the different gangway's using the second deck as a template.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0132.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0133.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0134.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0136.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0137.jpg  

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM

As I want to put the ship in a diorama I have to make the hull a litle higher
since the kit's hull is just on the waterline with a litle cardboard and some black paint it's an easy job.
Following picture's show how the halfdeck gangway's are build.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0138.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0142.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0143.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0144.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM

dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman

Now some picture's from the gangway's fitted into the main deck and the batsman's stand cut out and reinforced.
There should be a rescue net fitted underneath the stand but I could'nt find a proper size.Any suggestions, scale is 1:350.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0140.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0141.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0145.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 AM

Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman

Now for more details.
There's a litle lifeboat on starboard side for quick rescue if there's no chopper available,furthermore there are 2 launches for bringing officers ashore.Following photo's show how they are build and mounted. There is a railing round that platform which is made from laser cut railings scale 1:250 but I used two third of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0146.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0147.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0148.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0151.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0152.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thanks for sharing this build. I am enjoying seeing how you modify it. Is this the old Veritas model that Koen Berfelo has reprinted? A very large model!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work. This ship was new to me, so I looked up some history. She began as the British carrier H.M.S. Venerable. After her service to the Dutch navy from 1948 to 1969, this ship was sold to Argentina where her aircraft saw action in the Falklands war.
Mike
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 AM

dutch aircraft carier Karel Doorman

Thanks Rob and Mike for Your kind response,Yes Rob, it's actually the old Veritas model now in a reprint by Scaldis with improved colors , detailed aircraft,crash crane and crew.Even a lasercut set for tower crane and aircraft is available. Now for building the scows on port side,used to bring the crew ashore ,who has to climb from rope stairs hanging from a bar beneath the scow platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0153.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0154.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 AM

dutch aircraftcarrier Karel Doorman

Now I have built the tower,detailing on starboard,added is a fuel pipe crane and winches,also liferafts and a large box aside to put the fuelhoses in.Furthermore I glazed the control tower with green plastic.
More coming soon.
Jos
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0157.jpg   Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman-sam_0158.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Jos, will you be at the IPMS in Soesterberg or Nieuwegein this Oktober? If you have finished the Doorman, I could take some photo's for my own build (I have the same set as you) and we could trade building tips.
Google Adsense