PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
How long did it take for you to receive the model? I am still waiting for mine.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Work continues...

It's been a while since I've posted. It's good to see all the outstanding shipbuilding that's going on on the forum! Padre, I hope you've received your kit...it is worth the wait!

The forward stack is mostly done, just a couple of AA guns and the rigging. I've also started on the after signal bridge.

What I'm reading: "The Ghost that Died at Sunda Strait" by W. G. Winslow. The story of the short wartime career of the USS Houston. Highly recommended.

russ...
Attached Thumbnails
WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-5-11-13-2.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-5-11-13-3.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-5-11-13-1.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-5-11-13-4.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Russ. I have really enjoyed following your Swayback Maru thread.

I have the Winslow book on my shelf. It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall that it was a good account of the last days of the Asiatic Fleet.

Just now my Asia Regional Studies elective is underway, and we recently finished the operational art and campaigning course, the exercise for which uses a South China Sea scenario. Discussion of freedom of navigation operations in the Sunda and Lombok Straits call up different images in my mind that they do in the minds of the students, as you can imagine.

Don
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
This ship as well as the Suzuya are in my to do pile, just wondering why no more work on the Suzuya?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelloemSualk View Post
Hey WAK, which one?
- Wichita class
- Baltomore class
- Oregon City class
- Des-Moines class
- Boston class (CAG) would be very nice ...

Give us some hints
Regards SY190

If there is interest in heavy cruisers, De Moines? But, but, how about a later Albany class, like the USS Chicago (downed a Mig in Vietnam)???
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Cool! I love the search lights.

My Drawings
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Don: I'd like to see the course description for the operational art and campaigning course...I always thought operations was a science? Winslow also wrote "The Fleet the Gods forgot", which was a very good book too. It has some interesting details about the ships that are smaller than "the small boys", the gunboats & seaplane tenders that don't get much "air time".

Paperfan: I will finish Suzuya. It is a very nice kit. Orginally after I finished Graf Spee I wanted to build a US heavy cruiser and choose Modelik's San Fransisco. After I gave up on it (it was a design nightmare), I bought Suzuya for some "instant gratification" until I could buy another US cruiser. I like having the two ships side by side...their design philosophy is so different!

HV: I'm a World War II ship guy. It doesn't seem like there are too many cold war era ship models out there.

russ...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Shipyard work continues...

I've completed the after funnel and quite a few deck lockers. The last PIX shows the after AA gun tub and screws. I'm still very pleased with the quality of the kit.

Reading: Kaigun- Strategy, Tactics and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy 1887-1941

russ...
Attached Thumbnails
WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-5-13-1.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-5-13-2.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-5-13-3.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-5-13-4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your model sure looks shipshape, Russ.

I’m in the office at 2045 grading papers, and seeing the progress of your build was a welcome break. It caused me to do a little searching. I'm not sure if you’ve seen these images before.

1 below is from http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/025/04025.htm - “Stern view of the Salt Lake City as seen in dazzle camouflage on June 21, 1944. Aft 40mm gun tubs, smoke canisters and the super firing twin and triple 8" main gun turrets are visible.” Interesting to compare this stern view of the ship in Measure 32/14b with the starboard quarter view of your model.

2 below is the NHHC image of the ship off Iwo Jima.

And this film clip taken from aboard Salt Lake City shows underway replenishment of the Mahan class destroyer USS Drayton (DD-366) and an OS2U landing and being taken aboard (flying those float planes was a sporty proposition): http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675059676_light-cruiser-ship_OS2U-seaplane_Japanese-batteries_water-splashes

I thought Kaigun was a terrific book. Just finished the Pacific War Strategy elective and getting spun up for the July graduate seminar on the same subject, so I am immersed in Pacific War literature (alternately with American Civil war history in preparation for the Antietam and Gettysburg Staff rides).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-saltlakecity_navsource_0402510.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-nhhc_saltlakecity_h50339.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Thanks Don...for the kind words and the interesting PIX and videos. "Sporty" is putting it mildly...my stomach was churning just watching those videos!! Kaigun is an outstanding book. I will probably finish it this weekend, then I think it's going to be Combined Fleet Decoded by John Prados.

I'm hoping to do a "drive-by" (a half day on my way to somewhere else) to Gettysburg this fall. I'm looking forward to seeing the battlefield without the old visitor's center. That really was an eyesore!! I also think they have improved some of the sight lines (removed trees) on the south end of the battlefield since I was there last.

I've completed another turret base. All those flanges are the least fun part of the project so far.

The last picture is of the anchor (and also a spot of a touch up that I have to touch up!). It is one of the weak points of the kit, so the anchor is actually from the long lamented Modelik USS Fransisco.
Attached Thumbnails
WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-7-13-1.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-7-13-2.jpg   WAK USS Salt Lake City 1:200-slc-6-7-13-3.jpg  
Google Adsense