PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Steam Tug Clyde

USS Steam Tug Clyde is bundled with USS Lehigh. (Mörck) BUT, I can't find any reference to this as a real boat. Does anyone know if there is a prototype? Or fairly close?

I'm nearing the end of the USS Commodore Perry and looking for a quicky before moving on to something more significant. Here is a teaser for the Perry. More later this weekend after I do my punch list.
Steam Tug Clyde-perry-teaser.jpg

Last edited by Lighter; 10-20-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
Union Tug Clyde

Type in the above in your search window......there is fine period photo of the Clyde. I would have attached the picture but really don't know how!!!

Regards

Will44
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will44 View Post
Type in the above in your search window......there is fine period photo of the Clyde.
Got it! Ok, I'm confident enough - particularly because of a couple of details that also appear on the model drawings. I had found a similar tug photo that had a different name in the photo caption. But I trust the source of the caption on this new-to-me photo.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Hello Lighter !
I also built the ship. There is a description of the board.
I have pictures of them from the tug:

http://www.civilwar-pictures.com/g/naval/canonicus
http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war...ottom-Deep.htm

the photo has a lot of useful links
Regards,Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Steam Tug Clyde-u.s.s.-monitor-canonicus-taking-coal-schooner.jpg   Steam Tug Clyde-virginia-bottom-deep.jpg  

Last edited by Joe711; 10-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM

First, thanks Joe for helping. Your diorama with the pair of tugs set my mind in this channel to model after the Commodore Perry.

I dug last night and those two photos are showing four out of six of a slightly newer and smaller set of tugs. Going from the stack numbers, the one in the single photo is Zeta which was previously #6 and originally J. G. Loane. In the second photo from left to right are Epsilon - #5 - Harry Bumm then Delta - #4 - Linda and Gamma - #3 - R. F. Loper.

This photo jives with Mörck's drawings:
Attached Thumbnails
Steam Tug Clyde-clyde-b.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighter View Post
Got it! Ok, I'm confident enough - particularly because of a couple of details that also appear on the model drawings. I had found a similar tug photo that had a different name in the photo caption. But I trust the source of the caption on this new-to-me photo.

Thanks!
Found one other picture of Clyde........complete with name under the front cabin window.....also note the rather ornate detail on the bow.

Will44
Attached Thumbnails
Steam Tug Clyde-clyde_pict4412_st3.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hello Christian,

Not on topic exactly, but of the same era...maybe this little gem would interest you Snag Barge von ecardmodels.com - Frisch ausgepackt - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund ums Kartonmodell

Kind Regards,

Cris
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will44 View Post
Found one other picture of Clyde........complete with name under the front cabin window.....also note the rather ornate detail on the bow.

Will44
I finally gave in and printed out the several suspects which is easier for me to eyeball when comparing photos. I love my monitor, but my eyes love photo paper. This one is different from the one referenced earlier by Will44. Which is different from the "greek" tugs. Obviously the name helps clinch it. (Although I'm now leery of saying "clinch" after the earlier Clyde photos.)

The final "too much study" is that the bronze eagle on the pilot house is posed differently!

Cris: Don't tempt me The last thing I need is yet another project!! But it would look neat working on the mud flats surrounded by tugs . . . Nah!!!

Last edited by Lighter; 10-23-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Finished a fragmentary sentence
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Hello Chris,

I wasn't trying to confuse the issue of the Clyde's appearance, but it certainly seems that Morck's rendition is more generic than detailed (though a very good representation). There were a number of these tugs operating alongside the monitors and finding the details of a certain tug has been most trying.......at least we now have a photo of a tug with the actual name applied to the pilot house.

Also, your USS Commodre Perry is a great build........I hope to be moving into acquiring the same skills.......yes, ACW ships are like potato chips.....!!!

Regards,
Will44