PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC

Based on input from my co-workers, I have begun construction on my next project. Here are some photos of the cover, some colored parts and the primary spine of the hull structure. If you look closely, the spine was lined up with the inch scale on the mat. The ship will be a little over a foot and a half in length (half a meter-ish?).

It is not a big carrier as it was built on top of a former submarine tender.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4398.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4399.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4400.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great! A new Perry project and a Japanese ship. What could be better!?

Don
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM

According to that all knowing resource, Wikipedia:

"Zuihō (瑞鳳, "Fortunate Phoenix") was a light aircraft carrier of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Originally built as the submarine support ship Takasaki, she was renamed and converted while under construction into an aircraft carrier. The ship was completed during the first year of World War II and participated in many operations. Zuihō played a secondary role in the Battle of Midway in mid-1942 and did not engage any American aircraft or ships during the battle. The ship participated in the Guadalcanal Campaign during the rest of 1942. She was lightly damaged during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands during this campaign and covered the evacuation of Japanese forces from the island in early 1943 after repairs.
Afterwards, her aircraft were disembarked several times in mid to late 1943 and used from land bases in a number of battles in the South West Pacific. Zuihō participated in the Philippine Sea and Leyte Gulf in mid-1944. In this last battle, Zuihō mainly served as a decoy for the main striking forces and she was finally sunk by American aircraft fulfilling her task. In between engagements, the ship served as a ferry carrier and a training ship."

This gives you a little better idea of the history of this carrier. Wikipedia and other internet sources have additional details available for those interested.

Greg
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM

OK the framework is done and the deck has been laminated. This is one of the rare JSC kits that calls out any lamination, but it is warranted in this case.

the framework on this one is very delicate, but assembles well.

The deck was built to aid in the construction and placement of the interior hanger deck. So after I get the hanger built, I guess I'll need to build a few planes to place inside.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4406.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4407.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4408.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4409.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4410.jpg  

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looks like you are off to a great start on this interesting subject. I'll be following this project.

Jeff
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Looks good, Greg.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I'm taking note on that frame design.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
JSC has some interesting framework designs.

Can't wait to see that full 1/400 air group.

Don
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM

The hanger has been built and installed complete with what are supposed to be working elevators. The only problem with the elevators is that the triangular spine of the ship impedes the movement of the elevators and will not allow them to completely lower to the hanger deck floor. I still intend to put a few planes in the hanger, they just won't be quite as visible.

What ever planes I put in the hanger and on the elevators will have the wings/wing tips folded. Space was a precious commodity on this narrow, small carrier.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4411.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4412.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4413.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4414.jpg   IJN Zuiho aircraft carrier, 1/400 JSC-dscn4415.jpg  

Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Great work. I didn't realize this kit came with a hanger deck. ...very nice.

Jeff
Google Adsense