PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.90 MB
Jahre Viking

Looks as if Evergreen Scale Models is a great supply of poly shapes including pipes in full, half and quarter round (and just about every other shape as well).

Evergreen Scale Models

I noticed the pics on the JSC site shows only soft bends for the deck pipes. This must mean they used Polystyrene pipes.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 39.40 MB
@ skppbh, I bought this one at my local hobby store. So I did not order this one by JSC online.

Fred
Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hello,

I also bought this kit and am pondering conversion to the SEAWISE GIANT. Over on Kartonbau.de, there was a massive thread containing many threats (lol wishes!) to build this in 1:250!! The best proposal involved setting her up as a bar

Good luck, I will follow your report with interest.

Kind Regards,

Cris
Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 AM

Hello,

@skppb:
Quote:
I just can't trust it. I also tried to register on the site but that does not seem to work either.
JSC is a quite well know family run operation. Have you sent them an email [email protected] ? They will respond in English to your questions and quickly resolve any issues. All of the JSC Models are also available from HMV - Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag | Facebook another well know family operation who will answer your inquiries in English and arrange the order via email/PayPal.

In regards to the piping, if you choose not to use the lasercuts, and you were looking for an alternative to poly, copper wire is the direction I would go in and what I will be using on the PETROJARL CIDADE DE RIO DAS OSTRAS. At 1:400 its very very fine diameters and bends.

Regards,

Cris
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Torque View Post
Hello,

I also bought this kit and am pondering conversion to the SEAWISE GIANT. Over on Kartonbau.de, there was a massive thread containing many threats (lol wishes!) to build this in 1:250!! The best proposal involved setting her up as a bar

Good luck, I will follow your report with interest.

Kind Regards,

Cris
I was in a doubt to buy the 1:250 scale but as you write: way to big
That model will became over 1.80 meters and set up as a bar is a good idea then......

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by skppbh View Post
May I ask how the ordering process went with JSC? I am also interested in ordering this model but the onsite form insists that I live in Afghanistan! (I don't by the way). When I click on USA it jumps back to the above. I just can't trust it. I also tried to register on the site but that does not seem to work either.
I did not have a problem. Used the shopping cart. Order was confirmed and redirected to payment site. Bit like PayPal but used a credit card.

JSC sent an email when payment was accepted and then the next day received another email confirming shipment to USA.

I was looking into the 1:250 kit also, but decided that one big ship (SD-14) is more than enough to handle.

Fred in Piperton, TN
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.90 MB
Jahre Viking

Thanks everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.

I am going ahead and order the ship by email as suggested, as well as the 'extras'. I think I will be disappointed with the outcome without the laser cut mast parts and other details (and they really don't add much to the cost - just time).

Just a thought, 1/700 (x2) rails in are easily available in laser cut. For this to be a a serious model you gotta have the rails. Miles of them!

Well, maybe not miles, but even the strengthening 'bands' on the deck that were installed when then the ship was jumboized, were raised and railed plus a ton of ladder rails, so we are talking about some meters in the model!

Please check out Auk Vissers website which is THE goto total picture site for all tanker modelers. The ship as Jahre Viking, Seawise Giant, movies et all are captured.

Great site for tanker modellers!

Jahre Viking - ( Biggest Ship Ever, After Reconstruction )

Check it out. This guy was an Esso employee and has every single ship pictured over 200,000 tons dwt on his site with pics/specs etc.

Sorry if you know already, but those who don't - don't miss.

Thanks again

Peter @skpph
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Hello Friends,

Sorry Mouse for wreaking your thread! So skppb not to beat a dead horse, but I've built several JSC ships, have a look at the DAY TIDE (JSC 291) here. They allow for a great deal of customization and scratch building, as you point out. Pliener offers good 1:400 railings. But the best in my humble opinion are the 1:400 railings and declines from GPM out of photoetch brass. Same deal with them email and PayPal.

Thanks for sharing those links!

Regards,

Cris
Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Look forward to this one........I have looked @ the kit but sadly never available in my neck of the woods.......so I will enjoy your build.
Rick
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Spectacular work!
Regards, Joe
Google Adsense