PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
What an excellent build, Brad!

This is quite a detailed ship model, as you no doubt already know. The kit shown on the Model Expo site has been a prime ship model kit for quite some time, timeless because of it's beauty and attractive attention to detail. It is no stretch that your continued build of this model will surely match if not exceed the wooden kit given the superb work you have done so far.

As a quick aside, I met a master ship modeler many years ago when Model Expo was in New Jersey. They had a showroom/store in Fairfield which was a frequent hang out when I lived in NJ many years ago. This modeler, Frank Mastini, built the wooden ship model version of the Model Expo kit which was on display in the showroom, and it was a popular model that everyone who visited spent a good deal of time gawking at. It turned out Frank had actually served on the Vespucci as a sea cadet many years before so it was a natural selection for one of his modeling projects. He would freely give of his time to explain the techniques of wooden ship modeling whenever he visited the store, which was almost every Saturday afternoon. He also spent a good deal of his own time mentoring young ship modelers out of his home, passing his hard learned lessons to the next generation. I was deeply saddened to learn of his passing a few years ago, but his models are probably still on display at the current location of Model Expo in Florida.

I mention this because everytime I see this ship I think of Frank and what a wonderful person and unselflish modeler he was. Frank would probably be surprised to see his old seaborne home being modeled in paper but I know he would be very happy to see such a faithful build of his favorite ship.

I am looking forward to your further progress on this build. I'm glad you started a build thread on this project, we're in for a rare treat seeing this ship come together!

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Jim, a side note (pardon the hijack) - Model Expo closed their store in South Florida. I lived close to it and frequently visited (and spent much money). One day, I went and it was closed.... Perhaps they were a bit too specialized.... Anyway, back to this incredible thread!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
What an excellent build, Brad!

Cheers!
Jim
Thanks for the generous comments, Jim.

I have not worked on the ship lately because I finally reached a non-paper stage of construction (rigging). While I plan to rig it as much as my amateur hands can, I tend to become frustrated when I have to use non-paper parts on a model. If I could make paper ropes, I would, but I know it would not look good. Anyway, I have a roll of what I believe to be near-scale thread ready to go when I gather up the courage and motivation to do it. I will update this thread when I jump back into the water (I'm currently on land with a tank).

Brad
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Well, I'll certainly be looking to see your further wonderful progress, Brad!

Chris, I didn't know they closed up their store. They are very active with their online sales, from what I've seen, but the concept of being able to walk into a shop and see such beautiful model ships like this one was quite a treat. Sad if that experience is being denied to the next generation of modelers....

Cheers!
Jim
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 AM

I'm deeply impressed by your clean work.
And paper figure head. It's sooooo nice.

Yu
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
And I'm impressed with the details you are putting on it.

That's top craftsmanship! Congratulations.

I'm looking forward to see the coming details.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 AM

Hi everybody!

I'm new boy in the forum! I began to create the Amerigo Vespucci, but I have a little problem. I don't understand, how should I cover the all vertical and horizontal formers (crossbeams) of the truss with belts for breadths of 4 mm. I think, so will the truss haven't been thicker or wider? Or, I don't konw! Please help! If you have a picture please send to me!

THX and regards
Andras:(