PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
USCG Defender Class Boat

Here is my first card model in awhile. I wanted to do something colorful, easy, simple and something with a low parts count. I chose Paper-Replika's nice U.S. Coast Guard Defender Class Boat, otherwise known as the Response Boat-Small, or RB-HS/RB-S. The scale is stated at 1/50.

I made a few tweaks to the basic model. In looking at photos of the real thing, I noted that it appeared the line down the middle of the orange collar was inset, so I built the kit parts for the collar as instructed, then printed out a second set of collar parts, cut out the appropriate sections and glued them over the first set, creating the inset.

I also printed out the cabin and metallic parts on silver paper. The parts are printed in gray, so the printing came out as gray on silver, but I think you still get the metallic effect. I hope so, anyway.

Instead of using the kit parts for the railings, I fashioned my own out of resin-core solder. The antennas are bits cut off from mandolin strings. (We mandolin and guitar players usually just throw those bits in the trash....)

Didn't add the kit's guns. I've seen plenty of photos of the boats without them, and I just wanted something unarmed.

I thought it was a nice model and went together with ease. If I'm reading the Paper-Replika site correctly, it appears to have been designed by Julius Perdana, and if so, my hat is off to him and I appreciate Paper-Replika for offering it.
Attached Thumbnails
USCG Defender Class Boat-boat1.jpg   USCG Defender Class Boat-boat2.jpg   USCG Defender Class Boat-boat3.jpg   USCG Defender Class Boat-boat4.jpg   USCG Defender Class Boat-boat5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
It was the boat used in his model making tutorials. Nice build!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What a cool build! Things like this are what make paper modeling so darn cool. Great topic, and great use of the medium. Congrats!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's a nice model of a nice little craft.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I like it This model is on my to do list but I am going to modify it to complement my Warhammer40K riverine patrol boats. Good build and see you around the forum.
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Nice build. I also built but scaled it up to A3 size, even still, some of those parts are small!

Niki