PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
You have got a nice clean shipyard there Papercut. And a "classic" boat is quickly taking shape there. Looks like you are building her at 1:700 scale?
Mike
Yes, however at a later date I would like to scale this puppy up. For the amount of detail even in this small a scale, I believe she would be grand as a 1:200 or even better 1:100. I would need to find a shop here that could do that print up for me. My printer can handle small work, but not the big stuff. I have found in my old age I keep wanting to build bigger and bigger. My Christmas present to myself was a Heller 1/8th Citroen 15 Six, this will be the thrid one since it came out in the 70's. So you see, if you can see what you are building, you will finish. I am astounded at some of the small detail work some of these guys are doing, way beyond my tired eyes.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Finished glueing up the hull, still need to paint out edges as you can see in the shots. I would like to point out a few things I encountered in the process of the hull build up. If you decide to build this, double check the deck w/hull bottom, there is a slight differance as should be to get the shear for the hull, however pay close attention to how the top/bottom line up. I checked and re-check to include hull plating and still came up short at the bow. No problem just used a filler piece, I did however maintain and keep the sharp rake of the bow. I found that laying hull up-side down on glass while installing the hull plating resulted in a nice flush fit to deck. When you start building the secoundary forward deck, the square structure at rear ID'd as 16a w/17 as wrap is incorrect, should be wrapped w/part 16. When you look at these parts you can figure out which goes where. Remember, we are working in 1:700 scale and mistakes can be easily fixed if caught in time. So far I have enjoyed this little ship, has gone togeather with little trouble, just a few hick-ups. I believe a first time builder could build this ship and it has enough complexty to allow the builder to get ready for a larger build w/confidence. Heck if you can work this small something bigger should not be that much trouble.Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081227_6.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081227_7.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081227_4.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081227_8.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081227_9.jpg
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Wow, you're flying on this one! It's looking really good.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 PM

Will return to work tomarrow:(, build will slow down abit.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:12 PM

As stated in my last post, back to the grind tomarrow, but I am thankful I have a job to go to with so many fellow men/women out of work. Here hot off the camera is todays work. I will paint out all white areas tonight w/Vallejo light sea gray which according to the color chart looked like a good match to the printed color. I will test on a scrape piece first. I have to admit I did cheat, the wrap that goes around the 2ndary deck is one piece, on mine it turned into three. Just seemd easier to do this way. From the photo you will notice one of the Main Battery Housings, fidley little bugger, did not like how it turned out, will reprint the Housings/bases and after a trial build up I know the trick to foldingDigital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081228_1.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081228_2.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081228_5.jpg

Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-20081228_6.jpg it. The base that mounts to the Housing is off register just ever so slightly, will correct.
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM

I just couldn't wait, wanted to show the results of the Vallejo paint on the Dreadnought. Mixed white and dark grey to get a med grey. Used this for touch up and after reviewing the photos I see some areas I need to go back and touch-up. Skylights are layed out front and rear. Pleased w/results.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-dsc00350.jpg   Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-dsc00351.jpg   Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-dsc00352.jpg   Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought-dsc00353.jpg  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Papercut, I've never used the Vallejo paint, but I've been curious every time I've seen it in the hobby shop. How is it? What kind of consistency and does it cover well?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Papercut, I've never used the Vallejo paint, but I've been curious every time I've seen it in the hobby shop. How is it? What kind of consistency and does it cover well?
I have at differant times used many types of paint and ink on paper, and to me this has turned out to be the best I have used. I mix 1 pt to 1 pt thinner to the color. I turn a small plastic epoxy cup upside down and use the small well in the bottom of the cup as a palet. I mix 1 drop paint to 1 drop thinner, mix w/a small paint brush to insure a good mix. Paint is like milk and ready to use. Comes in a 100 differant colors and a bottel of paint per color should last f/a long time as long as you keep the tip and cap clean and tight when put back on. In the past I have used a 24 color palet of water colors and mix until I came up with the color and have had great results, but I think I like the Vallejo the best. Don't load your brush too full, just dip into pool and get enough to do a small section at a time to keep the color uniform.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Papercut,

Your model looks excellent thus far! I, too, have never tried the Vallejo paints, but I just purchased a bottle this week, as it was the closest match to the sand yellow color of my Fiat CR.42 kit. The clerk at the hobby shop said it was the best brand they carried, and they carried all of them. Thanks for the tip on thinning prior to application.

Regards,
Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

The Vallejo lines of paints are some of the best I have used in 40+ years of miniatures painting. Thin to a consistency of cream and you should get excellent results. Avoid painting wide areas unless they have been sealed first - Vallejo is a water-based acrylic, so is not friendly to raw paper.
Google Adsense