PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
scalescenes' Narrowboats and lock T018

Just read through davee52uk's Narrowboat thread Narrowboat models
and went and looked at scalescenes site which was mentioned somewhere in there.
Found this Scalescenes.com - T018 Narrowboats and lock
Quote:
This kit has everything you need to create an authentic looking canal scene for your layout including:
  • 6 different working and leisure narrowboats
  • Accurate lock gates, towpath ramp and steps
  • Realistic water texture that's ready to varnish
  • Additional elements to create as much canal as you need
  • Fully illustrated instructions
But now the trouble is that several months ago my printer became dysfunctional. If only I knew enough computer stuff to diagnose why the printer stopped printing: it made all the right motions and all the right noises but the paper came out blank.

First I'm most likely going to have to buy new ink cartridges since they've sat for several months - that will have to wait till next month.

Fixing to start a small freelance model RR layout at home and am looking at the stack of unbuilt HO structure kits in books from Dover and from Schiffer. Thinking let's go card just for fun

Am paranoid about the models fading over the years. Even though I have long been a fan of card modeling I have 93% of the time built out of styrene, foam, and wood when scratchbuilding railway or sci-fi things and therefore count as a rookie at card.

But right now, the big thing is that I don't understand what is wrong with the printer. As an added bonus at no extra charge, my health is a mess and things like this frustrate me very quickly.

Goals:
Buy and build that narrowboat kit.
Resurrect the printer - which kinda has to be the first goal achieved.
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Sorry about the health issues. I can't vouch for long-term resistance to fading. I actually have a pre-printed card model on my old RR, that hasn't faded, but that is far different.

I've been giving a light coat of Krylon clear before building, then several more coats after building and then hoping for the best ...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Hi, and thank you, even if you didn't realize it! That giving a light clear coat before building is something I'd not thought of; after building, yes, before, no.

Am wondering about taking the published kit books to our little Missouri farming burg's office supply and printers to have items printed, thus preserving the book - keep reading about people having to try a few times, so it seems copies would be prudent.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Copies are sometimes prudent.

I just make ordinary paper copies as a back-up for possible use. Or just scan the pages - cheaper.

If I have to redo a part I then use the paper copy to make a card copy (or stick it on think paper or card). Throw the copies away at the end of the day. Or if I have scanned I go through a similar process.

----------------------------------------

The clear coats work well - if you printed your own models it helps keep the parts from splitting when you fold etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi Kevin.

Okay, here's the current plan - after payday order the Scalescenes kit; then, take the Dover and Schiffer kit books and have printer make a couple copies of something for me to practice on.

Given that the kits are New England fishing town, New England village, Victorian Seaside Resort, New England Mill, and a few others I forget which they are, guess the layout isn't going to be set in San Diego, eh!

Will ask the printer about fading and such.

Am thinking of using the thing of cutting out windows and doors then using parts from another copy set behind to add depth.

This is not going to be a one-weekend project!
Would be fun to make layout portable to take to model RR club open houses for people to see paper/card model buildings.

Okay, am on Mike's computer up at his little model RR hobby shop in an even littler burg 20 miles down the road froum our little country burg.

later,
Forrest

Back for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
The SD40 is 41 now!!!!!!!
No way, can't be, I'm not that old!!!
Was looking at Bachmann's HO GP30 EMD demonstrator model - 1962 - that means Second Gereration US diesel locos are at least one year older than I am.
Okay, maybe I'm not all that old after all.

Last edited by southwestforests; 02-15-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Forrest - so the 30 is 50!

---------------------------------------------

The Scalescenes kit is really nice - the canal lock is a bit complex but I think worth the effort - am about to start it soon. The canal section can also be used to provide additional canal lengths.

Scalescenes are also shortly going to issue a Lock Keepers Cottage and Canal Bridge - so bear this one in mind. The canal bridge (I hope it will be the one used to have horses cross the canal without having to unhitch) will be a unique model if it is this, and should add a lot of interest. See picture.

But even if not it will be nice to have a small canal bridge model!
----------------------------------------------

I did a build thread on the Scalescenes canal boat here (English Canal Narrow Boat)- and really enjoyed making it once I got the idea. The scale in 1/160. You will be doing HO assume, which will be a lot easier.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
scalescenes' Narrowboats and lock T018-bridge.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 02-18-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
Forrest, before you give up on your printer, remove the cartridges and clean them with a paper towel that has been wet with water. I find that if mine sits too long, the ink dries on the outside and prevents printing. It's worth a try.

Have you checked "Clever Models" web site for RR related buildings. They have a great selection of excellent card stock kits. John
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnflys2 View Post
Forrest, before you give up on your printer, remove the cartridges and clean them with a paper towel that has been wet with water. I find that if mine sits too long, the ink dries on the outside and prevents printing. It's worth a try.
Will do. Good indoor project for when we get snow and sleet Thursday.

Quote:
Have you checked "Clever Models" web site for RR related buildings. They have a great selection of excellent card stock kits. John
Keep forgetting about them!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear SouthWestForests:
By all means Print extra pages and layer and use transparency for the windows. it realy brings a model to life.
Good luck,
MILES