PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
Alan Rose Titanic

Greetings all,

Here are a few photos of work-in-progress on Alan Rose's 1/200 Titanic from 1981. I plan to build her pretty much "out of the box," except possibly for some rigging. As you can see, the construction method is simpler than that used in more modern kits, but so far it's going together well and is surprisingly sturdy. The hull is built in three sections, and the boat deck is assembled separately and then attached to the hull, with its sides forming the overhang of the upper promenade deck.

Alan Rose Titanic-titanic-1.jpgAlan Rose Titanic-titanic-2.jpgAlan Rose Titanic-titanic-3.jpgAlan Rose Titanic-titanic-4.jpgAlan Rose Titanic-titanic-5.jpgAlan Rose Titanic-titanic-6.jpg

I believe that the Taschen 1/200 Titanic was basically a copy of this model, although the artwork and construction details are somewhat different. We had a Taschen Titanic on display at the IPMC when Alan Rose was our honored guest. He commented ruefully that they had even copied his mistakes!

Peter Ansoff

PS -- Looking back at my first paragraph just now, it struck me as interesting that the phrase "out of the box" in our modeling context means the opposite of what it means in the management world. To us, it means following the existing directions, rather than coming up with something novel.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great start on this model, Peter. I look forward to seeing it at the International Paper Modelers' Convention in Sterling in October (unless you bring it to Carlisle on 9 March as a demonstration work in progress).

I liked your little disquisition on the varied meaning of "out of the box."

Don
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Nice job so far, having build the Taschen Titanic, I am following this with interest.
I also had thought about the Taschen and Alan Rose models being very similar.

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice looking ship model.

That Taschen model has some pieces printed across two pages with the fold going across a section of the piece. Since the pieces are structural in nature it seems that would cause a problem.

Part 2
Alan Rose Titanic-2taschen.jpeg

Part 5
Alan Rose Titanic-5taschen.jpeg

Part 10a
Alan Rose Titanic-10ataschen.jpeg
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
I don't want to take this topic away from Peter's ALan Rose model, but I have build that Taschen model, see my buildtopic here, but I didn't find any problems caused by the parts you mentioned.

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is good to hear. Seems strange that the parts would be layed out like that.

I have the Alan Rose Titanic book on the way. First thing will be to compare the two.

Will be following this thread with interest and might even get around to building the Titanic.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Alan Rose 1:200 Scale Titanic

Peter,

This is a VERY good-looking model! The bright plank decking color of the Forecastle under the lamp is the best I have seen so far in any Titanic model.
The inside rust color of the well deck walls along the railings is also very good.

The model has a very sturdy and solid look to it - a great build. Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing more of this fine build.

All the best,
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Empire State Building Model

Peter,

Is that the large Schreiber-Bogen Empire State Building model in the background, or perhaps the DOMUS model? It looks very good...

Bengt
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.11 MB
All,

Thanks for the comments!

Jerry's Titanic build graphically shows the differences in the hull construction process between the Rose and Taschen versions. The Rose hull is built in three sections (bow, midships and stern), each complete with bottom, sides and decks, and the three are then mated together. The hull bottom and sides of each section are printed as single pieces. Taschen's version has you build the entire bottom and sides separately, and then put them together all at once. It wil be interesting to see what other differences obtain. I very much doubt that I'll be able to equal Jerry's beautiful diorama, however!

Bengt, the Empire State Building is actually an enlarged version of the Fiddlers Green model, with some minor modifications. I built it to illustrate how the mooring mast would have worked if it had actually been used to dock a dirigible. I will post some photos in the architecture section.

Peter A.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Coming along very nicely, Peter.
Google Adsense