PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage

To begin with.....
Having just introduced myself on this forum and this being my first ever cardboard build, I feel a bit embarrassed starting this thread. But hey, who does not dare never wins! So here it goes....

Please remember that I am an absolute cardboard rookie here. So don't think "Ah, he will know that!" since I probably don't. Please feel free to comment the way you see fit, and please learn me the ropes of this craft since it ain't going to happen all by itself and I am for a great deal depending on what you guys have to learn me in order to get better at this.

The kit
I am building the kit: light cruiser "De Ruyter" 1942, scale 1:250, 4-color camouflage waterline model.
It is from Scaldis who provided great service during choice and purchase.
Besides the main kit, I have also treated myself on the available two laser-cut enhancement packs, which are one lc-pack for detailed parts, and one lc-pack for railings.
The price of the main kit was € 17,50 which I think is not too expensive, the laser cut pack for the details was € 14,75 and the one for the railings was € 20,25. All together this was not cheap, but for that one can expect some quality I guess. However, being used to resin/plastic builds, pe-sets for those cost a bit more most of the time.

What surprised me a bit was, that there was no laser cut pack for the frames/framework, which would have offered the possibility to use thicker cardboard and made a more solid frame for the ship. But that is only my thought, and being a complete rookie what do I know?

The ship
Of course, the ship has been named after one of our all-time National Dutch navy heroes: Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter (1607-1676). As a vice-commander he beat admiral Ayscue in 1652 at the sea-battle of Plymouth. This was the first Dutch victory in this war and it made de Ruyter an instant Dutch hero. Many, many victories would follow the most well known of them being the battle at Chatham England, where Marines were deployed for the very first time. At that occasion he managed to capture the British flagship HMS Royal Charles and take it back with him to Holland. He was awarded the title "luitenant-admiraal-generaal" a title especially created for him.

There have been many "de Ruyters" as it is good tradition to always have navy vessels which honor the names of the well know National sea heroes. This started with a yacht in the year 1665 carrying the name "de Ruyter" and it has proceeded until this very day, where we have a fregat of the "Zeven Provinciën"-class at sea with the name "de Ruyter".

The cruiser from which this model is built has the following details:
* 170,92 meters long, 15,7 meters width, 5 meters deep.
* 6442 tons water placement empty
* 66000 horsepower engines delivering a topspeed of 32 knots.
* crew of 437 sailors.
* main armament of 7 pieces 150mm guns, in 3 double towers and 1 single tower.
* secondary armament of 10 pieces 40mm machineguns

It was said, that budget was of too much influence on this vessel, and that although it had some good design points it was armed and armored a bit lightly.

The build
Begin a complete beginner I found myself a bit intimidated by the details of the kit, and the lack of building instruction pictures. However, there is a good instruction in writing and it is available in 3 languages so no complaints there. It just takes some research for a beginner to find a begin and end, but then there were the magnificent pictures of Legion that made much clear. Would have been great if the building instructions had such pictures in them.
However, I guess doing that research and finding things out is just part of the fun?

So I started today by laying the beam and dry-fitting the frames of the first two parts of the beam as the picture shows. I want to stay sharp on this one since I have no clue what I will encounter and a mistake is quickly made. So, this is phase one, and the publication on this forum is a nice reminder of what has been done until now for me as well.
Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_1.jpg   Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_2.jpg   Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_3.jpg   Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_4.jpg   Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
good work

sounds like you're doing fine.

for me the hardest part of the hull is putting on the plating over the bulkheads, trying to get it smooth and even

most people do some sort of filling in before they do that, to have more support to glue the sections of hull plating to.

if you look at various build logs you'll see different approaches

my latests system is to make a copy of the hull plates and then glue it onto heavy cardstock... then i shape and glue the heavy plates... trimming them so they sit inbetween the bulkheads... when they dry I can sand them down and have a more or less "solid" hull to glue the real hull plates to... but as i say, people use many different methods

keeping posting as you work and i'm sure you'll get lots of encouragement and suggestions.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quite the choice for a beginner!

...but the forums are the best place to get some help.
And this isn't the only one.
You might actually find a build of this particular model on one of the European forums.
None the less, there are some very experienced "ship" guys here.

Wow, thats a pricey kit in the end.
More than I'll ever pay for a "paper" model! LOL
But, whatever floats your boat....lol....
In the end its all about getting the most from your build,
and I'm sure those extra detail packs will make you happy.

As I said, theres lots of experienced builders here who are itching to give you a hand.
The more you show...the more they get involved...so please, detail your progress.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Hello Red,

That's a nice looking kit. On the German site kartonist.de you see a lot of builds with these frames method.

Looking forward to this build.

Ciao Andrew
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
My experience is, that when building a ship, it helps to pin the bottom plate to a straight wooden plank right from the start and keep it there while building the bulkheads and the hull skins. Otherwise the bow and stern will tend to curl upwards, which is a shame for such a interesting model. Good luck.
And get yourself the sharpest hobby knive money can buy.
Oh, and don't forget to colour the card board edges of each part, otherwise you'll see white edges all over
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Good tips you all! I am now using an x-acto, but am open for advise....
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
X acto is good, change your blade very often. You want that keel beam dead flat and straight, do you have a piece of glass you can build on?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Mounting the frames

Today I purchased a piece of birch plywood 1.00 x 0.25 mtr. to build the model on. After every frame and waterline frame were cut out I glued everything to the plywood which makes a firm base for the rest of the model and will prohibit that the models ends will curl up. Just need to glue in the stern frames and then the whole framing is complete.

As for now, I am really enjoying working with cardboard. You really do not need much (until now that is!) else then a bit of tools and a bottle of glue and there you go. When focusing on the cutting-work this is really relaxing to do I must admit. I am quite sure a lot of difficult things are yet to come, but hey, can always ask you guys so let's just crack on with it.

The e-xacto knife proves to be unbeatable when you compare it with other more "hobby type"-knives that are way to rude. The e-xacto cuts very precise and is a charm to work with. It allows pretty straight lines out of the hand which quite surprised me!
Attached Thumbnails
Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_6.jpg   Light Cruiser "Hr.Ms. de Ruyter" 1936-1942 waterline, camouflage-deruyter_7.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looking quite nice.
I always found the Scaldis frames interesting and odd compared to the usual slot-fit frames.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
A quick tip: add a few more formers to the bow and stern. And take care they have the correct curve, my build was a bit off.
Google Adsense