PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Here are some cutaways of the middle of the ship, this may be my next build to test the practicality of building this in a cutaway configuration.

I have modeled the boilers into the model

This view is of the top deck looking into the framing of the gun deck down onto the Orlop deck and into the boilers

Port Side View

Gun Deck planking view with gun on carriage

Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
This is awesome! Are you planning to design a detailed model of the entire ship?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
Thank you sir

You really think so, I could do that as it is not a killer to document this small section, not sure there is that great an interest in Civil War models though... Let me know your feelings on this...
I know I would love to build this section, and there seems to be a fairly good interest in Civil War models particularly the warships. Chris at ecardmodels.net has a slew of them for sale.
The beauty of your deck gun section is that it shows why the vessel existed and the technology involved.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazziga View Post
This is awesome! Are you planning to design a detailed model of the entire ship?
I already have the entire ship modeled in detail, I am just fooling around with cross sections now. I am undecided on the scale. The job of getting this ready to release as a model is time consuming, and not nearly as much fun as just designing and building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
I know I would love to build this section, and there seems to be a fairly good interest in Civil War models particularly the warships. Chris at ecardmodels.net has a slew of them for sale.
The beauty of your deck gun section is that it shows why the vessel existed and the technology involved.
Thanks B-Manic , this is an interesting section, I chose this one because it has the stack, the boilers, the furnace , the gun , the lifeboats, so pretty much shows the real interesting parts of the ship. My armory models of the civil war limbers, forge, etc, had little interest to the community so I took that as a lack of interest in civil war in general. Maybe I am wrong. But I generally model things that interest me anyway, and the civil war period is high on my radar at the present.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
I already have the entire ship modeled in detail, I am just fooling around with cross sections now. I am undecided on the scale. The job of getting this ready to release as a model is time consuming, and not nearly as much fun as just designing and building.
I understand that it is not an easy task and the amount of work you will have to put in it, may not translate into the appropriate number of models sold.
If you have the entire ship modeled in 3D, please, post some images.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very very beautiful !!!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I understand that it is not an easy task and the amount of work you will have to put in it, may not translate into the appropriate number of models sold.
If you have the entire ship modeled in 3D, please, post some images.
Here are some images of the ship. Still tweaking the finer details... but something to look at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNE LEONG View Post
Very very beautiful !!!
Thanks Wayne, glad you liked it...

So these are some images of the ship, not finished with the fine details, and still need to do all the textures, but the main shape and all the features are there...

Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Nothing short of impressive! I see that you've done your homework well, as the shutters are only installed on the forward 7-inch Brooke chaser's gun ports.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Nothing short of impressive! I see that you've done your homework well, as the shutters are only installed on the forward 7-inch Brooke chaser's gun ports.
March 8, 1862. All of the shutters had yet to be installed. Porter wrote in October of 1887 for Battles and Leaders " She had port shutters only at her four quarter port holes." Fourteen sets of shutters were made, and were in route from Richmond and were too late to be completely installed , so if one wanted to model this with all the shutters in place , you might be considered accurate.

Kinda like the USS Constitution, depends on the year as to what she really looked like...

Glad to see your a student of history, That is half the fun of modeling...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Awesome! I love it.
CT