PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
I understand that the USS Monitor Center at the Mariners' Museum has the original Porter plans for the CSS Virginia. My friend Steve Lund, a noted RC ironclad model builder, had the opportunity to closely examine it. Of course, even if these were the official working drawings, other undocumented changes might have occurred in the shipyard. For instance, it's now questioned how the Confederates with their limited ironworking capabilities could have tapered the plating for the smooth conic sections seen at the ends of the casement.

Also, when I test-built the Paper Shipwright version, designer David Hathaway said he found references that the decking over the bow and stern (except for the "beavertail") was simply placed across from port to starboard and sawed to fit, instead of the normal practice of laying the planks lengthwise fore and aft. I never saw any other mention of this, though it makes sense -- considering the rushed construction and available workforce, if would have been more expedient than laying out the decking in the traditional manner and nibbing the ends.

And will you also include the pig iron ingots that were dumped onto the bow immediately prior to her first battle? It was determined that the weight distribution was off, with the unprotected portion of the bow dangerously exposed. But during the second day's battle with the Monitor, so much coal had been consumed that the Virginia was now bow-heavy, with portions of the rudder and propeller visible. In fact, it's surmised that was the Monitor's intended target when the Rebels scored a lucky hit on the pilothouse. The exposed rudder chains would have been another tempting opportunity, which later proved to be the CSS Tennessee's Achilles' heel...

David T. Okamura
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
I

And will you also include the pig iron ingots that were dumped onto the bow immediately prior to her first battle? It was determined that the weight distribution was off, with the unprotected portion of the bow dangerously exposed. But during the second day's battle with the Monitor, so much coal had been consumed that the Virginia was now bow-heavy, with portions of the rudder and propeller visible. In fact, it's surmised that was the Monitor's intended target when the Rebels scored a lucky hit on the pilothouse. The exposed rudder chains would have been another tempting opportunity, which later proved to be the CSS Tennessee's Achilles' heel...

David T. Okamura
Hello David, I saw all the RC data ( link below)

http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

on the web while doing searches, the original construction scroll was 27 feet long or 17 feet depending on which source you choose to believe, these are lost to us... The originals were traced over twice and the originals destroyed, so copies are what exist, it is rumored that additional material exists in the hands of private collectors, but not accessible to us...
Fantail still a mystery, I've not seen anything definitive on this, however the ship was loaded with scrap iron from all over the Navy Yard, so much in fact that it was called off for fear that any more weight would damage the Virginia, it was thought later that Porter had failed to calculate the weight of the Masts, spars, rigging sails etc when he calculated draft.

Not a lucky hit, a well aimed shot at the Monitors slit, the captain was just looking out at the wrong time

According to what I have read,and I have by no means read it all, the Virginia's fantail was never exposed to a shot, but the Monitor probably missed the boat by not ramming her stern, this was a poorly arranged area and would have crippled her for sure.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
So Mike, given all the interest, I'll return to my original question. Is there any possibility of you releasing a model of the Brooke 7" swivel mounted gun on the Front Casement that this wonderful thread started with?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Mike, I just now discovered this thread and I am amazed again at your skill. I think that you underestimate yourself. The level of detail and precision in your design work is quite simply pure genius!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful build with us.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
So Mike, given all the interest, I'll return to my original question. Is there any possibility of you releasing a model of the Brooke 7" swivel mounted gun on the Front Casement that this wonderful thread started with?
Short answer is yes, soon, life is getting in the way at this very moment, but I expect to escape back to modeling soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Mike, I just now discovered this thread and I am amazed again at your skill. I think that you underestimate yourself. The level of detail and precision in your design work is quite simply pure genius!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful build with us.
Hello ashevilleangler, thanks for the kind words...glad to hear from you again....
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
Hello Mike,

Just received Ironclad Down......so far it looks like this should last only a few days....then the re-read begins. The author has gone the whole measure on his book.

Thanks for recommending this volume in you postings.....I look forward to the next installment on you Virginia.

Regards,
Will
Old 01-02-2015, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.40 MB
Smile Amazing Work

If this comes out please let it be in like 1/72 so the older eyes and fingers can do it the justice it so clearly needs.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Mike, I just ran across this myself. Terrific work, and am glad to see it will someday be available. The larger the scale, the better.