PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 518.43 MB
Burghead

I have built the base boards for my model of Burghead. I have built 3 at the moment. Each board is 4ft x 2ft giving a length of 12ft. All boards have folding legs .The first one contains the harbour, the second one will have the station and goods shed, and the third one will have the loco shed and manure factory. I taken some photographs to show where I am up to at the moment. Every thing has been placed on at the moment , when I am satisfied I will glue them down. I have started to lay some of the railway tracks on the quayside . I have used foam board for building the harbour. The sky one the back scene was is a seamless sky texture I found on the internet. I have done several threads before on the model under different names such as railway related but now I have started to build it proper I will use this thread for all future updates. Up to now every thing has been made with paper or card except the rail tracks. Even they have been covered in card with just the top of the rails showing through.
Attached Thumbnails
Burghead-p1010111.jpg   Burghead-p1010114.jpg   Burghead-p1010121.jpg   Burghead-p1010122.jpg   Burghead-p1010123.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It's coming along well. Thanks for the share
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Wow, this looks really nice, I like it.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Very nice Diorama. There is a lot of work here.
That fourth image shows this is no small project.
Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM

I still have to build another board for the fiddle yard so I can store trains on it . I will be making cassettes for the trains. The total length of the model will be about 16 ft and it can be dismantled and shown at model railway exhibitions. I have already had two invitations to exhibit it next year .So I have about 12 months to finish it. I have moved it to our local model railway club premises as it is to large to set up at home. My next job is to do the low relief buildings at the back of the layout gradually working my way to the front.After that I will start laying the track down. I will be using Peco N Gauge Finescale code 55 finescale track .As the period of the model is between 1960 -1970 I have to backdate a lot of the buildings and remove the recent ones . The track layout has changed over the years with parts being taken up and new ones being laid. I will take more photos as it progresses.
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Burghead

Here are some pictures showing how far I have come on building the model. I have finished a ship based on the Emiliana Torrini which is a free download. It as been rescaled to 1/150. The model is freely available on the internet.
I have laid the track which is Peco finescale code 55. The terrain is constructed from layered foam board which I have covered with Bachmann grass paper. I have started to build the town . I have designed the buildings myself using Photoshop and Microsoft Publisher. I have taken frame grabs from Google Earth and used them for the basis of the buildings . I have had to back date the buildings as most of them now have white plastic window frames and replace them with period ones. I have used ones I have download from texture websites which are also a good source of brick and stone textures that I have used on the buildings. I used seamless sky textures for the back scene. At the moment every thing is just placed on the layout I will glue the down later.
Attached Thumbnails
Burghead-img_00000049.jpg   Burghead-p1010332.jpg   Burghead-p1010334.jpg   Burghead-p1010337.jpg   Burghead-p1010342.jpg  

Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
There is a lot of excellent things on display here.
An expansive project. Interest in this one should go beyond us shipbuilders.
Great work.
Mike
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Are these built to modular standards? I once was in to HO rail modeling back when modular section models were just starting to get popular. Went to a model show in Fort Worth were they had maybe 200 modules hooked together! Your builds look great by the way, looking forward to seeing more......Rich
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Burghead

The model is not one of the module type layout. It is a stand alone project with a harbour at one end and a fiddle yard at the other (for none railway modellers a fiddle yard is where you store the trains and fiddle about with them = they are stored on cassettes which you can turn around to go back the other way). The layout can be dismantled and carried to exhibitions in my SUV. I have also posted articles on the railway related builds.I have attached some more photos showing views up some of the side streets. Nothing is stuck down yet and I still have to detail the buildings.
Attached Thumbnails
Burghead-p1010325.jpg   Burghead-p1010331.jpg   Burghead-p1010344.jpg   Burghead-p1010345.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 379.18 MB
Very nice, the combination of railroad and harbour will be interesting. I will watch your progress.

Greetings
Dieter
Google Adsense