PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I don't know about accuracy, but I think the lighter blue version would make a very striking model
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
For my two cents worth, I like the darker blue as shown in #2. As far as historical accuracy, military equipment is not painted to look good, but rather from whatever paint is already in the supply system. I'm not sure what colors (or rather, colours) the royal navy used in the 1880's, but baby blue probably wasn't one of them. Basic greens, reds, and cream seemed to be the popular colors back then.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM

I don't know anything about the history of the colors of this ship, but just for looks I like both blue #2's the best.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I am still sure #2 is a very pale blue. But since Carl has twisted my arm, #4 is attractive and better documented. The Flex was fleet flagship; the pale blue may have been connected to that, or to a royal cruise. Remember that Jackie fisher was her first captain, so flamboyance was to be expected. Speaking of Jackie, and to add to Don's comment above, Furious was "Spurious" and Courageous was "Outrageous," like Cockney rhyming slang. One wonders about the nicknames for the Insect class...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
oh yes. the semaphores, projecting out over the turret? Not a good place to be when engaging in gunnery exercises! I need to get my hands on a really good Fisher bio; this was likely another of his ideas...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I think that Fred and I have discussed this down to agreeing that she should show in buff with a buff stripe as shown in the attached picture. It took a while to circle in on this but it seems the most likely.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
H.M.S. Inflexible, 1876-1-24-all-buff.jpg  
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I agree. I think you have it about right. This color scheme looks good. And I like your "Rhino" design work. I'm going to have to learn that skill someday.
Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Mike, I've always loved CAD work and it is pretty neat for me that I can find a way to combine with something else that I enjoy. Rhino is pricey unless you are a student or teacher but it has turned out to give me my money's worth in enjoyment.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM

I live a a house full of Macs (No...not raincoats) and last time I raised this question (about a year back) there was no program that would work on Macs...which is profoundly annoying. The thing is I can use Maya and Lightwave so I am assuming that Rhino would work in an akin fashion. I have a number of projects that I have shelved, simply because of their 3D complexity. Any good news out there on this issue?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM

I'm not sure Terry. If you are using some program to adapt PC stuff to MACs I can tell you that Rhino by itself lives on memory and is a total CPU hog. Put in more and it smiles and makes you happier. It can lock up if RAM is down for some reason and the file is huge (mine are, I'm lazy about pruning).

I'm trying to say that it might be such a dog on a Mac that it won't be worth trying. The translation program would probably wreck its functionality. (?)

Carl
Google Adsense