PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Cleopatra Shipyard 1/96

I thought Cleo now that I've dusted her off a bit could renew a thread in the proper location, I mean really if the Toybota could be here....Today looking where the obvious holdup on Cleo is and it is the rigging for the great guns. I have chosen some simplification due to scale, but the bolt rope though an eye on the gun in Royal Navy style must stay. Here is the first gun rigged, 13 more to go. (since I have no idea what I'm doing I've asked the Captain and crew to supervise)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2281.jpg
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Have a look at Jim Krauslis's Constitution for the gun tackle

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for that tip, Barry! However, although the thread is there, including a remarkable description, I can't seem to get in any photos. The blocks I have are too large and scarce for me to hide in this gun tackle, but Jim's described method sounds excellent, at 1/2 the scale of mine! Ha!
Here's what the paint color looks like on the guns, and some bolt ropes, but large and clumsy I think, however will make them more visable when covered with the walkway and boat rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Cleopatra Shipyard 1/96-img_2282.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Glad to see you've started back up on Cleopatra, Glen. Ahhh, the joys of rigging!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Oh happy day,:D I followed this thread to the last page and with sadness saw you had not posted anymore on the build. I am a ole Plank on Frame builder and I have a copy of Shipyard's 1777 Santa Leocadia. I do have a tip about the rigging for the gun tackle, reduce the thread size to smaller dia. Go to your local sewing shop in town, go to the white cotton thread, pick out several dia.s, pick up some bee wax. Go home use a size about half what you have tied up now, place a tea bag in hot water, coil off thread at least a doz. times around two fingers, cut from spool, lay thread into tea and let soak for awhile. Remove, lay on paper towel, air dry. When dried, run thru the bee wax and you have a nice size thread for gun rigging in a rich color. Two colors are required for rigging, tan and or dark brown and black for rope that has been treated w/pitch. As far as gun rigging, that is up to you how much you need to give the impression you are looking for. Not only is the gun attached to the ship's gunwales, but there is also run out rigging to pull gun back into battery after firing. So it is up to you what you want to add. I can tell you from the copy I have, the complete rigging is not included in the kit. If you are a stickler for the complete rigging prototypical of the ship, you will need to do a little research, and if you are not able to find any info for the ship you are building, understand, each type had a standard rigging depending on the country and ship builder. So if you come across a ship that is the same type as your's and there is rigging details, copy that and keep looking until the ship is completely rigged. I will give another tip, rigging puts a lot, repeat, a lot of stress on the attachments points and since this is a paper model, use caution. Hope this has helped and you finish this great ship you are building.
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Thank you for your interest, gents, this is a great kit, and have to study a bit obviously, however, since is the only sail warship I've done. Thank you for the info, Papercut, the ship you have would be nice too, huh? I have been building my own cannon, wood, and am now pressing on with rigging the guntackle. The return tackle I thought would be too small too see on this kit, but I guess am rethinking that now...no matter presently as still more carriages and guns to finish.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 AM

I am following your thread referring to the book "Historic Ship Models" that you recommended me
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Yu, I'm looking at page 169.:D
Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 AM

This evening I started from page 164 Armament and now at last reached to page 169 because my reading speed is far slower than native speaker of English:D
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

I think the breeching was a bit stout, so removed it and placed attatchment points for the gun tackle and train tackle should I be able to include them. Am most pleased with the appearance of the guns now, and a few lines and blocks? Still trying to decide what type of block to use. I have several choices, but the main ones are 2mm wood (purchased from Jerzey) paper that came with the kit, or some homemade ones.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2285.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Cleopatra Shipyard 1/96-img_2286.jpg