PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
Rescaling Large/Detailed Models

I just finished the Modelik Iron Duke. It is big at 1:200 scale. I really don’t have room for too many of those! I was thinking about reducing the scale to 1:400 for my next model. That looks like a nice compromise. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on doing this. I am not concerned with the scale reduction, but more on how to handle the “fiddly bits”. Do most builders use the really tiny bits (literally and figuratively)? Do they just leave out some of the detail? Some of the superstructure details at tiny scale looks difficult. Or do you just accept the challenge!
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
There will always be some compromise. Reducing to half the size results in losing a lot of fine details. And some other details become ridiculosly small. So it becomes a question on how good are your hands and your eyes.. And your patience.

Other aspect to consider is thickness of paper. Reducing the scale but using the same cardstock may bring some problems when fitting parts. Probably a thinner cardstock would be recommended. Tabs become a problem, sometimes a tiny nightmare that is best solved glueing by the edges.

When downsizing paper models, you'll see that despite the possible problems I mentioned above, there may be some advantages too. You'll find that some parts will no longer need formers because the paper (or cardstock) holds itself with its own rigidity and weight. Also, some big parts that were difficult to handle or to glue correctly may become easier to work with.

I once reduced a 1/33 Fokker DVII to 1/200. I lost a lot of pieces that were thinner than a hair with the new size, or that were easily damaged with the cutting blade. I didn't have to use any formers at all, though the original had many. The end result was nice, and attracted more than one viewer.

Kind regards,

Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Just to give you an idea of what can be put in, or left out of a model when resizing it, check out these threads. Not a shameless boast, but since I downscale all my kits, this might give you an idea.

1/300 Santa Maria build
1/300 Santa Maria acabado (finished)
1/144 Spad S.A.-2
Mt-lb 1/87
1/144 Show Car Car Show
1/144 AH-1 Cobra Super Detailed
1/87 IJA Type 94 Tankette

Hope it provides some insight into what you can do! Small scale rules!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:57 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
I prefer to scale UP. I'm in awe of those of you who scale down and build microscopic models with fine detail.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Resizin is an interesting compromise. Once the model is scaned in jpg archives, You can use almost any graphics program to reduce the templates (like photoshop). I use to resize from 1/200 to 1/700, so I finish with four templates in one page.
I use to test this models printing only the "squeleton" of the hull. If the printed and glued result has the right size, then I proceed to print the rest.
There are many small pieces that can't be made in paper 1/700 scale, like machine gus, I use electrical wire, wood and another materials to model this ones
Right now I'm modeling the BB-63 Missouri, and instead of a 135 cms one the result is 38.63 cm long.
Another ship sizes in 1/700 scale:
Yamato 37.57 cm
Bismarch 35.86 cm
Prince of Wales 32.13 cm
Belfast 26.71 cm
Cg-47 Ticonderoga 24.69
Onslow 15 cm
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Hello, Lonnie!
Well, there's another solution: Why not go to JSC - paper models ships vessels aircrafts architecture and have a look at their Mikroflota series - all of them are in 1/400 scale.
And Schreiber Schreiber-Bogen Kartonmodellbau have some ships and even buildings in that scale too.
If you're at it, you may also try the Kartonowa Flota http://www.kel.frame.pl/modele.htm in 1/300 scale, they are relatively simple to build and easy to scale down>1/400.
Kind regards, -
Papercaptain

Last edited by Papercaptain; 06-02-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: URL added
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
Thanks All for the replies!
Papercaptain:Thanks for the links. But when you just have to do that one ship...
Draco: I was thinking the same about using "special" materials for the smaller parts. Like using straw to do the vertical parts of the bits. I actually would love to do the models in 1:700. The DN Dreadnought is a wonderful model! But I a not up to THAT much modification of the model. That said I would think there might be a market for ships that size. Aircraft at 1:33 are not huge space eaters as long as yo stay away from the big bombers.
Sakrison: I must be a frustrated neuro-surgeon!
Texman: I have admired your work. I have done a number of A/C at 1:144 with help from you. Actually your planes got me started with the miniaturization bug! I am just off to my passion for pre and WWI ships for a while.
Rubenandres77: Thanks for the ideas. I am now going into the planning phase. I found based on my work in 1:144 aircraft that it is a good idea to first print out the model on plane paper at the scale you are planning on working. Then I note what parts to use, which to not use and which can be done using alternative methods. I have found that when in doubt, do a test build of the piece in question.
Again I will give a shout out to Texman. Anyone looking to down-scale ANY models should look at his threads.