PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Very nice Yu. I like the results especially if you can acheive this without sanding and filling (like I would have to do) Jim (Redhorse) also obtained nice results with his method. (glue strips over formers for more glue surface if I recall)
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
I like the results especially if you can acheive this without sanding and filling
Glen, how observant you are. You anticipate me in doing it. That’s what I have up my sleeve as a last resort:D
Now I understood the feeling when Caesar said two thousand years ago “The die is cast”. I must go for without sanding and filling believing “every problem has it’s solution” and what the new U.S. president called repeatedly “Yes, we can change”

Jay and Michael, I will try to provide detailed report so that someone else can improve the method later.

Lex, As I am on the road now, I can’t find proper pictures of IJN ship’s plating but following photos will be of help to you.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/?p=14
http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/?p=21

To the best of my knowledge, correct if I am wrong, overlapped plating of IJN sips during the war resulted from the event in 1935 when IJN No.4 fleet encountered strong typhoon during the tactical exercise and 19 ships out of 41 were damaged because of triangle wave. But, at that point Japanese did not have knowledge about triangle wave so they concluded that the cause was inadequate welding performance and since then they changed plating from welding to riveting.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Yu,

I wouldn't even begin to try to guess about the whys and wherefores about it, but I do know I have seen a few dry dock photos as well as a few models from some very well read modelers who have replicated that pattern on their ships hulls.

I just love that colorized IJN site, the guy does a killer job of adding digitized magic to those old B&W photos. Looking forward to the next update on your progress.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks a lot Yu, I can anticipate more photos.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Those colorized photos really bring the ships to life! I appreciate your sharing this site with us, Yu.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM

:DYug, where you at. We are waiting for that next post. I am very interested in your plating of the hull, very prototypical. I have this kit and she is a beauty and I am watching in awe what you will do with her. Your students are waiting.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yeah, man, we are waiting. And I totally am on the same frequency to do without sanding and filling. It is like a challenge and we must learn to cope with it! Very much looking forward to more of your build.

Carl
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM

Thank you for commenting, Jay, Lex, Don, papercut and Carl

papercut, I thought a decent student is supposed to do home work while teacher, who cracked under pressure piled by you allied force and take a powder, is away:D

Joking aside, I am out of town whole this week and flying home with today’s midnight flight. I will be building the hull plate this time tomorrow provided that my wife does not force me to do some domestic job. Since I am not as nice husband as somebody who voluntarily takes care of his wife, she always thinks out a plan to manipulate me but tomorrow I will get around her for the sake of paper model world

By the way, attached picture is ethnic minority in Northern part of Vietnam, where I have been visiting frequently these two years-of course for legitimate business. I think it’s more enjoyable than my hull plating
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Hiei 1:300 - Maly-blackthai.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Yu,

Glad to hear you will be getting home soon. "Honey Do" lists are universal or so I always thought when you are married. Fortunately I am only enjoying the bliss part without the wedded part so I can usually figure out ways around such things.

Hmmm, I can see why you enjoy your work so much. Looks a lot different than the last time I was "in country" in 1970, they were mostly into military fashion back then.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Take all the time you need to get back into Hiei Yu.

I wouldn't rush if I were you.
Google Adsense