PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good well done

Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello

This is outstanding work! I know haw hard it is as I`m building TIRPITZ myself.
I`d like to ask for more pics if poss.
Sit in first row and watching.

Best regards
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 AM

A true Master at work.... amazing results!

Coming from the plastic modelers world I was caught by the idea that you do not simply glue pre modelled plastic parts together, but in fact build a complete 3d model from a flat piece of cardboard paper.... so I stepped in, also being discouraged by coloring the plastic models (requiring expensive equipment) and the fact that on most cardboard models that seems to already been done.

At this moment I am building the Dutch cruiser "De Ruyter" but I eagerly want to start building the Bismarck as I already start building that ship when I was like 12 or so, but then in plastic. I am reading just about anything I can get my hands on.

Can you tell me why you decided to build the GPM Bismarck and not (for instance) the HMV Bismarck? Was it the difference in scale? Or?

At this moment the HMV set is still my nr1 on my "which Bismarck to build list", but as this is going to be a long term project over a few years, it seems important to make a well thought out decision on which set to use. I would be grateful for your advice and/or explanation on why you have selected the GPM set?

One of my arguments for choosing the HMV set is the quality of the instructions. As a beginning paper modeler, I need clear instructions. "For Dummies" let's say.... My perception is, that most modelers think HMV is doing the best job at that aspect, hence my preference for the HMV set.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Don,
Superb ! Thank you for sharing

I will watch the progress, because I can learn a lot from you.

The Bismarck is 3rd on my build list.
I will finish the Prince of Wales which was part of the battle with Bismarck in the North Atlantic, after that I will build Yoav's F4, then Bismarck will be started. As the PoW is in 1:200 scale I'll buy GPM's 1:200.

Last year I bought the HMV's Bismarck at a show in the Netherlands, which is very good of course, but I think it is a good idea to have the two battleships in the same scale if only for comparison.

Thanks
Klaas
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
A true Master at work.... amazing results!

Can you tell me why you decided to build the GPM Bismarck and not (for instance) the HMV Bismarck? Was it the difference in scale? Or?
I chose the GPM kit more or less by default. I have built several GPM kits and I like their fit and finish. The instructions are better than most but could be better yet. It might have been availability more than anything. I bought it from the Paper Model Store at a time when Krys was my main source for imported kits.

I am happy with the GPM kit. I like the scale. and with a very few exceptions, the instructions have been adequate and the fit and finish good.

I haven't made much progress in the last few weeks. I thought I'd have more time over winter break at the college but a busy Christmas season, ten days in Costa Rica, and then scrambling to get ready for the start of classes has put a crimp in my hobby work. I'll try to get back to it this weekend.
--David
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Interesting talk about one publisher vs. another. Funny or by design, how they each seem to have their own process for building. And instructions vary greatly.

You Bismark superstructure looks great. I can hardly wait for the hull (but maybe you can?) LOL
Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachead View Post
Interesting talk about one publisher vs. another. Funny or by design, how they each seem to have their own process for building. And instructions vary greatly.

You Bismark superstructure looks great. I can hardly wait for the hull (but maybe you can?) LOL
The hull is skinned. I used the same method as on the Akitsushima hull (see: Akitsushima Hull - 1/200 scale). The results were not quite as smooth, but I'm satisfied with it. I just need to add a few details below the waterline. I think the next ship I build will be a waterline model. (Akitsushima remains unfinished but high on the project list.)

The deck is attached and I'm currently working on deck fittings. I hope to mate the superstructures to the deck sometime soon, then install the railings and rigging. I'm also designing a wall-mounted display case for the model. I do NOT want to dust this puppy.

I haven't written a build thread because I knew the project would be a long one. I will say that the changes I've made have been minor--adding joiner strips or tabs where none were offered and adding thickness or extra formers to a few parts. The biggest change was in how I made the gun barrels. I describe that here:Rolling Gun Barrels and Masts - Another Approach.

The other experiment I am happy with is the anchor chain, described here: Anchor Chain for GPM Bismarck.

I'm enjoying this project but after six months with it, I'm also itching to move on. So many kits, so little time!
--David
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
That's look great. I have a booklet of Bismarck too, My friend send me long time ago. I want to build this kit but I can't find any scanner and printer what can print A3 format. :-)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Nearly ready for launch!

Making progress: With the railings and rigging added, the upper works forward are done and ready to be mated to the main deck.

Upper works aft are almost done - a few more evenings. The hull and main deck just need a few details.

There is a model exhibit next week at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh. I want to take this beast, even if she's not complete. But I want to get her as close to complete as I can. I started this project on June 30 last year. It's exciting to see her nearly sea-ready!

I have added few extra details; it's been mostly a "shake-the-box" build. But she's been a great project --my first capital ship -- and I have high praise for GPM and the kit's designer. The one important thing lacking from the kit is a rigging diagram. I've had to go to other technical sources to sort that out.
--David
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Bismarck 1/200-forward-works-done.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You really do absolutely superb work, David!

It must be the way you hold your wrist when you shake the box.

Don
Google Adsense