PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have decided to do the Bismarck as my first model as I couldn't find anything else I wanted to do.
I have a Brother multifunction printer so I scanned and printed the paper-card sheets so that I can use them for cutting and if I make a mistake {I am sure I will} I have the original still intact. The sheets lettered A - I do they need to be that thickness or can they be made of the same thickness as the rest of the book. I have the upgrade pieces coming so I thought I would ask as I can print them either thickness. To date my other parts have not come so I am keen to check the mail every day. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have purchased the book "Card Modelling Basic and Advanced Techniques", is there any other books etc that would be of use to me!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would recommend a smaller project than a BB if you have no experience in builing in paper. Basic model skills are the same all over but there are many unique challenges to paper modeling not found anywhere else.

The printer is a great idea, but the paper and ink quality of the model itself are likely better than anything you could print.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnol2461 View Post
I have decided to do the Bismarck as my first model as I couldn't find anything else I wanted to do.
I have a Brother multifunction printer so I scanned and printed the paper-card sheets so that I can use them for cutting and if I make a mistake {I am sure I will} I have the original still intact. The sheets lettered A - I do they need to be that thickness or can they be made of the same thickness as the rest of the book. I have the upgrade pieces coming so I thought I would ask as I can print them either thickness. To date my other parts have not come so I am keen to check the mail every day. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have purchased the book "Card Modelling Basic and Advanced Techniques", is there any other books etc that would be of use to me!
If I may, in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the forum, I put a post that contains photos and a list of some of the more commonly used tools for building. What's listed is what I use, but everyone builds differently, so some of those tools may not work for you, but I believe it is a good starting point for a beginner, to get an idea of what can be useful in building. Your mileage may vary. I also have some cheap stainless steel dental tools from eBay, some pretty high quality tweezers in several shapes, also from eBay, and some really good lamps.

The title of the thread is: Tools of the Trade and it ought to be stickied, in my humble opinion....

Feel free to ask questions. Lots of questions. Sometimes you'll get snarky responses, because there are folks everywhere who love to show how knowledgeable they are by being dismissive to people who aren't knowledgeable, but on this forum, they seem to be fewer and farther between. Again, YMMV.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Outstanding work!
Thanks for the tutorial, very useful!
Sincerely, Joe
Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Talking She's Finished!

After ten months of off-and-on work, my GPM Bismarck is complete!
And as soon as I locate the *&%$#@! charger for my camera battery, I'll post photos.

Let me offer my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your encouragement. You truly helped to keep me going when the Bismarck project just seemed too gawdawful big. What a great community this is!!

Cheers,
--David
Google Adsense
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
GPM Bismarck, 1/200 scale, photos

German Battleship Bismarck was commissioned in August 1940. In May 1941, she and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen left the Baltic Sea, heading for the North Atlantic to attack British shipping. On 24 May, west of Iceland, she was spotted by the British battlecruiser Hood and battleship Prince of Wales. In the ensuing "Battle of the Denmark Strait," Prince of Wales was heavily damaged and retreated; Hood exploded and sank. Bismarck received shell hits that slowed her and damaged her fuel tanks. Leaving the Prinz Eugen, she headed for France for repairs.

In the days that followed, Bismarck was attacked by carrier planes and surface ships. One torpedo hit her astern, jamming her port rudder in a 15-degree turn. On 27 May, a British battle group caught up with her and with shells and torpedoes, reduced Bismarck to a wreck. Less than two hours after the final battle began, Germany's largest warship capsized and sank with the loss of all but 110 of her 2,300 officers and enlisted men.

Bismarck
's sinking ended Adolf Hitler's plans for a fleet of super battleships. Her sister ship, Tirpitz stayed in Norwegian waters raiding convoys bound for Russia. Tirpitz was finally sunk at anchor by aerial bombs in Kaa Fjord, Norway in November 1944, with the loss of 1,000 of her crew.

This model of the Bismarck, in 1/200 scale, is 50 inches long and 13" high at the main mast. It is built almost entirely of paper, from a kit published by GPM of Poland. Other materials include photo-etched brass railings (main deck only), brass and wire masts, and cotton thread rigging. I began building the model on 30 June 2013 and completed it on 5 May 2014.

--David
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7187.jpg   GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7189.jpg   GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7174.jpg   GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7175.jpg   GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7176.jpg  

GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7177.jpg   GPM Bismarck 1/200-bis_7185.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Great work David and congratulations on a extremely fine and handsome model. I love every detail on it and your build is very crisp and clean. Some day I'll tackle my Bismarcks both paper and plastic versions.

Tappi
Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Excellent clean model and under a year.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Thats one very nice looking Bismarck David, I need to get cracking on mine.

Cheers
slog
Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Magnificent work, David. I really enjoyed this thread and learning about your various techniques. The images of the completed model as a feast for the eye.

Don
Google Adsense