PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-03-2013, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models

Hi all, I have started to make the Gremir models 1/200 Admiral Ushakov. It is the first ship model download that I have bought.
The download is fairly complete with history, build photos and instructions. The instructions are pictoral. I am also using drawings of the Admiral Ushakov downloaded for free from Navarin.ru.
There are nine sheets of parts plus three sheets of frame parts. I am making it as a waterline model so only had to print eight sheets of parts.
To make it a waterline model I just cut off the frames below the piece that runs along the centre of the keel parallel with the deck. It is pretty close to waterline and formed the bottom. The deck was printed on copy paper and glued to the deck with a glue stick and pva glue around the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130901_070400.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM

I think the edge of the upper deck should be black but it is printed the same as the planks. I painted it black. I printed the sides on some packing sheets that came with some JSC kits. The black came out greenish on this but blacker on copy paper. I proceeded but was not happy with the colour as it went together. And the black touch up paint was too dark. The rear two frames stuck out from the deck so I just sanded them down. I got too much of the starved dog look at the front and back of the hull.
I was going to start again then decided to try sanding the sides a bit and then covering with parts printed on copy paper. It worked out well. I am happy with it now.
The fit of parts is good and small gaps at the bow and stern where the sides meet is probably down to me not sanding enough of the frames down. I wrapped both with black printed paper. I think they look better now. On fit problem that I don't think was my fault was around the anchor storage cut outs at the front. The inserts were not big enough. I added some filler parts and it looks ok to me .
The detail here is simplified compared to pictures and drawings I have looked at but I left it as is. I have vowed to make things as provided on all kits from now on unless they look very wrong to me. Getting obsessed over details in plastic models killed the enjoyment for me. Switching to paper has freed me to enjoy modelling again, keeping my vow in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130901_072743.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130902_180905.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_182330.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Woolley; 09-03-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I think this is looking pretty good thus far and look forward to seeing more of it come together.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Hi,
I just checked the original parts and the frames fit the deck pefectly. They would require some sanding to match curvature of the deck, but on the photo it looks more like either fames printed out to big, or the deck too short.
Either way - great recovery and it does look good.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 AM

It was only those last two frames that poked out a bit. The keel fit the deck perfectly and the last two frames fit the bottom part, just not at the top. It was really only the last one that stuck out a bit too much. Anyhow, what ever the reason, no big deal.
I thought I wrapped the stern in black paper but didn't as you can see the little gap I had left. Late night memories can be funny.
This model feels very solid. I can't wait to start adding all the fun stuff, which is pretty much everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_204559.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_204959.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_205056.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_205116.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Woolley; 09-03-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 AM

My wife tried to get into the picture here. She is supportive of my hobbies but her standard line when I start a new project and show her is," Isn't that the same as what you just made?"
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130903_205156.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Hikokbert,
you want to nurture that inability of not being able to tell the difference.
I built a "collection" of road and touring bicycles all in the same green color and my wife just nagged me about working on the same bike all the time.
3 bikes later.....
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.46 MB
another build coming together quite nicely,good to see you solve those little build problems(my printer sometimes produces images slightly out of size)---that may possibly be the problem with some of your printed parts,and I know what you mean about getting obsessive with detail on plastics--that's why I turned to card models and found a new set of challenges to build successful models!
Col
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 AM

CMDRTED, I enjoyed your story and told my wife. She said it wouldn't work with her because it seems any time I revisit something, I tell her that as well, such as I made this as a kid and so on. I will have to keep a tight lip in future. Another problem is that due to a quirk of architecture in our house, my hobby space is in a room next to the kitchen and there is a window between them. So everything is revealed. I also do RC and rubber powered planes and they are building up in full view. They also look the same to her.
I include the view my wife gets from the kitchen. In case you are wondering, I can't get in there until I have a clean up. I am worknig off the dining table at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130905_190536.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 AM

I got a few more pleasant hours of modelling in yesterday due to being home from work sick. I had a go at the anchors and was happy with the result. I added a few layers for a more 3D effect and painted it black. I bought some soft wire today to make the rings to hold the chain, which I also bought at the local cheap shop jewellery maknig section.
Attached Thumbnails
1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130905_184809.jpg   1/200 Admiral Ushakov from Gremir models-20130905_185041.jpg  
Google Adsense