PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250

Hello Everyone,

I’ve decided to try doing my first build report. I usually never show any of my projects before they’re completed, but I have a terrible habit of setting down a project and never coming back to it. :o My hope is that by having a build report going it would guilt me into finishing what I start!

So, the ship I will be building is the HMV 1:250 scale Berlin. I was anxiously awaiting the release of this kit for the past couple years and kept getting disappointed when the release date kept being pushed back time and again. Finally it was available so I ordered it as soon as I could, along with the photo etched set.

According to Wikipedia, “The Berlin class are the largest vessels of the Deutsche Marine (German Navy). In German, this type of ship is called Einsatzgruppenversorger which can be translated as task force supplier though the official translation in English is combat support ship, or in military parlance, a replenishment oiler.”

I’ve always had a soft spot for naval auxiliary vessels and I think this ship in particular just looks great. (Now if someone would do 1/250 scale kits of the USS Anchorage LSD-36, USS Newport LST-1179, USS Cimmarron AO-177, etc...)

The printing of this kit is just amazing! The paper quality is also noteworthy. It almost seems a shame to pull the pages out of the book to build it.

As a final disclaimer on my part, I have some other previous commitments coming up so I won’t be able to build much at all after this week, but we’ll see how it goes.

Anyway, time to get started

Here's the obligatory shot of the cover and the base parts glued together and spot glued to a scrap piece of countertop.

Corbin
Attached Thumbnails
EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-cover.jpg   EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-base.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Good start! Good luck with it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Welcome aboard. I am looking forward to your build thread. You have already peeked my interest with tack gluing the bottom of the ship to the countertop.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The HMV kits are very nice. I look forward to seeing your build progress. All in due time of course.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldane View Post
I’ve decided to try doing my first build report. I usually never show any of my projects before they’re completed, but I have a terrible habit of setting down a project and never coming back to it. :o My hope is that by having a build report going it would guilt me into finishing what I start!
I know build threads really help me finish my projects. This one looks very interesting, looking forward to it.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 AM

Manfred Krueger presented his not yet completed control build of the EGV last year at the exhibition in Mainz.

Hans Gerd
Attached Thumbnails
EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-egv-1.jpg   EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-egv-2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks for posting the photos. That looks really nice. I was hoping to see one of these kits built up, or close to it, but couldn't find anything on the web. I have a long road ahead of me! Those Seaking helicopters are amazing little kits by themselves.

Cheers, Corbin
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Hello Everyone,

Well, I succeeded in totaly ignoring everything I was supposed to be doing yesterday and had a marathon building session! I have all the internal framework done now. I’m amazed at the extensive framework in this thing. It will be bomb-proof once the hull is complete!

My build is going to slow down quite a bit now because I have several other pressing obligations, but I’ll post what I can, when I get anything done.

Cheers, Corbin
Attached Thumbnails
EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-frames1.jpg   EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250-frames2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work on that frame. Very impressive. What is the length?
Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
I second that, looks like it is a pretty happening foundation for what is to follow. Looking forward to watching this beastie come together.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Google Adsense