PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question about materials

I have a question about what types of materials and glue to use for making paper ships.. I'm having a rough go of it..
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
I'm not a ship expert, but what are you building and what scale?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
- for most of the parts a good quality card stock available in packs at any office supply or stationary store. The ultrabright or ulrawhite types work best with my HP inkjet printer.

- smaller, especially rolled, parts are best printed on plain white copier/printer paper

- for the internal framework (egg crate) you can laminate card stock to the required thickness or use manilla file folders, cereal box cardboard, bristol board, etc (regardless of what the instructions say use the cutouts on the model (where the parts interlock) to determine the actual thickness required.

- glue or adhesive is always a great topic around here. Use search to find threads on the subject. I use Aleene's tacky glue (PVA) for most things and any good quality glue stick for laminating. Occasionally I use CA glue and have used Duco cement to good effect but, I do not like the tubes it comes in (that's just me, others swear by it). I saw a post here yesterday where it was in a small bottle. If I could find that locally I would probably use Duco.

For the most part it is all a question of personal preference . . .

~ cheers

Last edited by B-Manic; 02-18-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: moo betta
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
A lot of different glues are used. Like standard "white" (or Elmer's) glue, CA glue, and many here like Duco Cement. You will see a lot of information on it in many of the threads.
Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
I like Elmer's white glue, I found a thread once that suggested using the bottles for refilling ink cartridges filled with glue. I found that it works quite well as the long, thin tube on the top allows me to place the glue where I want it and in just the right amount.
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Elmer's glue fan here. Your mileage may vary, but i find that it works best for me and living in a vary dry climate (like Padre,WHulsey and a few others) I skip Aleens since my big problem is often things drying out before they stick. #M 77 for laminating, Just about anything else is a waste of time and effort.

For frames and former stock, you start hording cereal packets,and the backs off of notepads and calenders. Once the affliction has truly taken hold, family members will do this for you, bringing home things from work.
A cheap set of calipers will come in handy for determining the thickness of card for formers, wires and such.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
For frames and former stock, you start hording cereal packets,and the backs off of notepads and calenders. Once the affliction has truly taken hold, family members will do this for you, bringing home things from work.
A cheap set of calipers will come in handy for determining the thickness of card for formers, wires and such.
Hahah, yeah really.
I met my friends at a bar and one guy brought in a collapsed box to give me. Everybody sort of stared at us wondering what was going on.
The cardboard I'm using right now my mom collected from work... apparently the tax people back everything they send with a thin card.