PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.75 MB
JSC : SS Unided States

Hi,

As I told you earlier (i.e. already a long ago ...), my daugther and I second paper model will be the transatlantic liner United States, a JSC 1:400 model. The bad news is that we do not have a lot of time to spend on that shared hobby, so the posts quite irregular. The good one is that we starded yesterday ... So hold the line !

Didier
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
This one is in my pile of unbuilt Blur Riband winners. I will be watching with interest.

Coincidently there is an ongoing effort underway to save this fine ship from the scrap heap and repurpose it as a floating exhibit/hotel/restaurant/shopping destination, similar to the Queen Mary.

Regards,

Greg
Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM

It's going ... slowly on !

I guys,

It's a long time I started to build the liner United States by JSC. Not to much time indeed. But it is going on. Here are some posts of the work.

With the aim of avoiding the déformations along the longitudinal axis I placed an aluminum stalk inside the main frame.

On the pictures the transversal sections are not yet fixed.

See you later !
Attached Thumbnails
JSC : SS Unided States-dscf0028.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscf0029.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscf0030.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscf0031.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscf0032.jpg  

Last edited by Didier; 03-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward to more updates. Great post. I haven't seen a lot of SS or MV type builds, which are a fav of mine. Really cool that you have your daughter that wants to help. Good memories.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Some more steps forwards ...

Hi guys,

Some more steps along the building of the JSC model of the SS United States. I found the hull a little bit light. Some parts are long and thin. And I got few squarring problems in getting the deck with the minimum twist.

Anyone got this type of problem with JSC models or other brands ? How did you overcome them ? Any help for further models is welcome !

Looking for your inputs.

Didier
Attached Thumbnails
JSC : SS Unided States-001.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-002.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
Looks like a great start. Looks like a fun build!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 379.18 MB
Hi Didier,

I like your beginning of this nice ship and will follow your thread with interest.

To strengthen the construction I mostly use some spare parts of heavy cardboard, cut them to fit and glue them between the bulkheads. Mounted directly under the deck, the give it the needed strength.

Greetings
Dieter
Attached Thumbnails
JSC : SS Unided States-cimg1384.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.09 MB
Looking great I have this kit looking forward to building it. Has any one built the Wilhelmshaven (spelling) Kit? Just wondering how they compare.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Hi guys,

I started to cover the hull. As it's my first "large" unit I can really measure the wonderfull work done by some of you.

And I have questions about the best way to realize the shape stern. Do you assemble all the parts before placing them on the main Framework or do you glue the parts one by one on the frame work giving the shape of the stern piece after piece ?

I used the first way. but I think I could have done it better. there are still some imperfections that I need to correct using "Pata-Fix" and paint.

The overall particular design of the liner starts to appear ...

Next time I hope I will be able to post a full view which will show the very aesthetic profile of the SS United States.

Didier
Attached Thumbnails
JSC : SS Unided States-dscn0003.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscn0019.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscn0024.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-dscn0012.jpg   JSC : SS Unided States-079.jpg  

JSC : SS Unided States-dscn0027.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
i like it.looking good so far,i usually join all parts from bow to midships including bow,then stern to midships before applying to frames,then make any necessary adjustments on straight joins midship,works for me.i have yet to build a JSC so will keep checking in.

Tags
jsc