PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner

So was at the IPMC the other weekend and picked up a couple of Wilhelmshaven kits. This one, no. 1218, got me all wound up to start it.

So Zuiho is a bit delayed while I work this one. The "kit", if some of you don't know, is 12x15 sheets, shrink wrap on similar size cardboard. Instructions and other data sheets are included.

Attached are some first pics. The paper is pretty thin by other kit standards, which was a surprise to me. Made some working with it easy, and other parts difficult because of its thinness. I'm not that skilled so the instructions are struggle but working it out. Not too much a fan of how they designed the hull form. I did some lamenating and reinforcement as you all would realize needed to be done.

Suggestions and tips welcome, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-pics-001.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-pics-003.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-pics-005.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-pics-006.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-pics-008.jpg  

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Wilhelmshavener models (like many of the other European paper ship models) do not use the 0.5mm, 1mm, 2mm frame thicknesses that we are used to. At most they use a doubled (doppeln) or tripled (??) thickness of the same card stock on which the model is printed. If you choose to use thicker stock be aware of the effects this may have on the fit of other parts. The Nautilus model was old when I was first exposed to Wilhelmshavener back in the 80s so don't expect a lot in comparison to today's vector-drawn, beautifully colored models. I still have a stack of Wilhelmshavener models waiting to be built and I do so once in a while out of nostalgia.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good luck with you submarine Greg.
I'll be watching the horizon for the return of your Japanese aircraft carrier.
Mike
Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good beginning, Greg.

Thanks for the info YB. I have some Wilhelmshavener kits on hand, including several copies of the LCU in German service, that I hope to build some day.

Don
Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
SSN 571 is such a significant and historical vessel, i would think that there would be at least a newer model of her after all this time? Its got to be because some submarines are pretty boring without the detail like older boats or any ship? its a shame!
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM

So true about sub models. Not a whole lot on the outside. Now if one of these publishers creates an interier i.e. cut-away type - now that'd be something. All of that piping, cabling, decks, weapons, etc etc. Can't you just imagine a boomer with 12 - 16 silos to create, along with the missles. sigh
Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I second the wish to see a new model of the SSN 571, full hull and 1:100 scale. I remember the fuss that Rickover made when (Renwal?) came out with a cutaway version of one of the boomers. Not to worry about Russian spies tho...it was definitely an artist's interpretation of a nuke boat. Too bad that the hull was opaque and not transparent...all that work on detailing piping and equipment just to be sealed up never to be seen again. Somewhere up in the shop loft there is another kit of it, waiting it's turn....
Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Greg,

Now that you are building a model you bought at IPMC, you realize that it means you have to display it at next year's event.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Update and commisioned. So spent the last two weeks or so and got the upper half done.

The instructions are for an advanced modeler (not me) because they need to extrapulation (sic) of what they are trying to get across. The drawings are sort of a help. Again, I kinda liked the thinner paper but my fat fingers made a mess of some of the smaller parts. Ugh.

I will work on the lower but need to get to the IJN build - the Emperor is fussing. LOL

Umm...displaying at the next years IPMC? We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-sail-1.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-sail-2.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-upper-hull-1.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-upper-hull-4.jpg   SS(N) 571 Nautilus - Wilhelmshaverner-underway-4.jpg  

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks damn fine to me.

Wyvern
Google Adsense