PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.19 MB
This little ship is nice and beautiful¡¡¡ I constructed it the last year, but in a bad paper... i want to do again¡¡¡
Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.64 MB
Build is progressing with a lot of part processing going on. I've got a few different ideas for the detail on the walking beam using string or wire which I'll post once I've had a play with. At present I'm looking for some advice on the armament.

Doing a search there seems to be only one photo of the Coeur in existance. The first attatchment below, however while looking I found a photo of what appears to be a very similar converted ferry > interestingly the funnel and walking beam arrangement on the second photo seems to fit the model more closely than the setup in the photo of the Coeur. I digress.....

Back to topic....Wikipedia tells me that the armament consists of a 30-pounder gun, and two 12-pounders (one rifled and one smooth) this is also what is printed in the model. The question is what goes where? Looking at the photo of the Coeur there appears to be one of the 12-pounders on the bow. I'm thinking that both 12-pounders should be on the bow with the 30 pounder on the stern (alot of the photos of the Commadore class ferries seem to have the large guns at the stern). Interested in any comments..

My next question is the mounting the bow has two concentric circles which I assume represent running groves for gun adjustment > though to me a full circle represents a 360 degree mounting. Can any naval historians (amateur or professional!) out there tell me if these were typically used for the larger gun (on a carriage) or for the smaller guns? You can see in the third picture below appears to be a 12-pounder mounting similar to those supplied with the model. Would this be the likely arrangement or were these guns installed with the circular grooves?

All inputs welcome.

Benihana
Attached Thumbnails
USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-picture2.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-picture1.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-picture3.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Life has been busy but I've had some time this week to work on Coeur. Paddle wheel assemblies below and some more detailed work on aft deck. Guns almost built so hopefully some photos on these and their arrangement soon.

Benihana
Attached Thumbnails
USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-1.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-2.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-3.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Precise and clean work !
Great
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
I'm thinking that both 12-pounders should be on the bow with the 30 pounder on the stern

My next question is the mounting the bow has two concentric circles which I assume represent running groves for gun adjustment
That was a common gun arrangement - heavy guns on the stern.

The iron rails are probably a fiction on the part of the designer. Never say never, but I can find no photos of the rails on converted ferries and work boats. Iron rails and bearing plates were commonly used with much larger guns and with very different gun carriages than what are furnished with the model. The guns and carriages included should be rigged with ropes and rings. Various CT Ertz models include gun carriages that are more appropriate for pivoting mounts.
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Good work!
I am glad that the cutouts are beautiful!
Sincerely, Joe
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Lighter I really appreciate the feedback on the guns.

Basic build photo for the guns is below. Still some detail left such as the front pivot and elevation screw which will be scratchbuilt. In the second photo you can see the elevation screw from the kit seems a little oversized especially when compared to the barrel. The third photo shows the scale from history (ship taken on unknown). I'm going to try to fabricate something more suitable out of a small strand of wire.

Benihana
Attached Thumbnails
USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-1.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo-2.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-1photo3.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Coming back to the placement....the first three photos are basically as per instructions in kit (albiet guns optional). The last three photos are as discussed earlier (+ Lighter's comments). The large gun at the stern and the bow has the two smaller guns. I've also covered the rails at the front as I think this is more inline with historical ACW photos I see of guns of this size. This is the configuration I will go with once the guns are complete.

Benihana
Attached Thumbnails
USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-photo-1.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-photo-2.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-photo-3.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-bphoto-1b.jpg   USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-bphoto-2b.jpg  

USS Coeur de Lion 1:250-bphoto-3b.jpg  

Last edited by Benihana; 03-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
This is the configuration I will go with once the guns are complete.
Compairing the model photos to the photo of the prototype, the model has the right "feel" to the guns. Aren't those fiddy gun parts fun!!?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighter View Post
Aren't those fiddy gun parts fun!!?
Yes, they are 'fun'. Fiddly, frustrating and patience trying but once together give a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. This model has been a great learning experience!

Benihana
Google Adsense