PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Some 96 bars and crossbars....., well that should be enough to support that deck!
Attached Thumbnails
EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00921-copy.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice job on the hull and other structures.
That retractable rail you mentioned in the first post could be some sort of cargo handling system. The extened position would be used to pick up something from the pier using a chain hoist of some sort then the item is run into the ship along the extended rail. The rail would then be retracted and secured for underway operations.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 AM

That looks like a very plausible explanation indeed. Thanks for your reaction.!
And also thanks for Beachead and Jagolden01 for their kind words.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:47 AM

A giant step forward in the construction of my Frankfurt a/M.: the complete main deck (three coupled sections) is now in place. Most of the hidden details underneath, are in fact still visible - you just have to take a close look and wait for enough daylight to see them.
For the first time in this build I had to make some ajustments: the front portion of the bow part of the deck (starting at the anchor winches and becoming more serious towards the bow itself) was resting too low on the frame; I had to add some layers of cardboard under this deck section to make it all fit with the inner clothing of the bow. But the final result is in my view more then ok.

I am now ready to start those beautiful superstructures.
Here are some pictures of how it all looks right now:
Attached Thumbnails
EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00922-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00923-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00924-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00925-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00926-copy.jpg  

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Work in progress on the main superstructure (picture 1) and a close view at the helicopter hangar interior (pictures 2 and 3). The last picture shows what will be the rear wall of the hangar and, sticking to it, what seems to be something like a mini control tower complete with three window panes and three windshield wipers - in my view the most challenging and most difficult assembly of the EGV until now; I don't know if I would manage to repeat that one...! Also on the picture: the optional roller door to close the hangar. You bet I will not be using it!
Attached Thumbnails
EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00927-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00928-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00929-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00930-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Taking shape nicely

Tim
Old 05-22-2014, 05:48 PM

What a great build you have going on here. Really clean looking and great pics. Keep having fun on it.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Thank you, Beachead and Tim Crowe, for showing interest in my build of the Frankfurt a/M!

It was the first time for me to work with these tiny laser cut railings... they are so beautiful, and yet so fragile that any uncontrolled movement can ruin them even before they are in place... and once they are fixed at the right spot I am trying to learn to handle my model with greater care then I ever did before! But until this moment nothing disastrous has happened.

I took some nice steps in assembling the model: the first picture shows a general view of the main superstructure under construction with, next to it, the finished hangar roof/ceiling in upside down position and ready to be placed in position; the two other pictures show close ups of the hangar interior... remember this is a 1:250 scale model: what more could one wish!

Finally a very serious warning for those who might be planning this build in the future:
Please note that he openings in the decks for the many stairs that lead from one deck to another are very narrow, in fact most of the time too narrow to receive the very very fragile laser cut stairs. I found this out while doing a test build of one of the stairs and then attempting to introduce it into one of these openings.... it would not pass. Fortunately all the openings were still accessible at this stage and I managed to make all of them a bit larger (about 1 mm maximum at the 'free' side, that means the side that is not resting directly on the structure beneath it). This might avoid any disappointments to others. I was surprised that as far as I know, no one else mentioned this point before.

I'll be back soon!
Attached Thumbnails
EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00932-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00937-copy.jpg   EGV "Frankfurt a/M". (HMV 1:250)-dsc00938-copy.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Yankee,
Very very nice work.
Looks like all the handrails were installed perfectly.
Mike
Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Hi Yankee,
Good work so far. It's quite an involved build, isn't it? I've been getting my desk cleared off so I can make repairs to my Berlin and get back to some long overdue construction.
Have you attached the base of the superstructure to the hull already? That seems like it would make it more difficult for all the moving and turning to build the superstructure. Also, there are some sets of stairs that go from the main deck to the lower deck (step 79) which will be very difficult to install if you've already attached the superstructure.
I used the photo-etched set and all the stair fit perfectly. My only issue with them was that there were not enough included in the set! I used a laser cut set from a generic sheet for the missing stairs and it also fit well, but it was definitely more flimsy than the photo-etched parts.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers, Corbin
Google Adsense