PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fly "TONE" 1/200 Waterline

Hello all my friends. I have had a bit of a break and even though I still played around with other designs, I have settled on the following to see if at last I can complete a build thread. My wife is recovering well and does not require my hovering over her all the time like a mother hen, so she is happy I have turned to another build. What I have pulled out of the collection is one of my favorites, yea, right, they all are my favorites. Anyhow, what I am talking about is a copy of Fly Gomix 1/200 TONE. A IJN Heavy Cruiser, that has all her main guns mounted forward, which I am always fascinated with this arrangement for the main fire power. She also carried a large flight group. One of the interesting items I came across while researching her was one of her sea planes came across the American fleet, but had radio trouble and could not transmit the info. The battle that took place could well have been in the IJN's favor had this info passed on the IJN fleet. This is a full hull kit, however I like to build waterline, never have been any good at the plating of hull bottoms. I figure I am more inclined to complete if built this way. So lets start this puppy. First a trip to the local glass shop for a piece of 1/4" thick glass cut to build on. I have a piece of glass on my building desk, but I will tack glue the hull to the glass until built to add in keeping her flat and I will need to be able to move the whole rig around to work on different sides of the model, and that would be too hard with the desk glass and since I like waterline builds, I went ahead and purchased another piece. Learned this trick of building on glass from my German friends. I have laminated to cardboard w/3M Super 77 and as you can see in the photos, I have started the build by assembling the waterline hull bottom. How about my weights for keeping everything nice and flat. Found that this works great and is not as bulky as a stack of books. Will cut the formers and upper keel out tomorrow and assemble to hull bottom. It feels good to be able to build again.:D Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Fly "TONE" 1/200  Waterline-026.jpg   Fly "TONE" 1/200  Waterline-028.jpg   Fly "TONE" 1/200  Waterline-035.jpg   Fly "TONE" 1/200  Waterline-033.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Glad to hear your wife is mending well! Welcome back. What an excellent choice for a build. The glass cutting (and building) boards are an excellent way to go; I have used this technique myself in the past. Your work area, on the other hand, is entirely too tidy!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM

I’m glad to know your wife’s quick recovery and you have started another IJN ship!!!!
I’m looking forward to learning tips and tricks, like using glass, from your thread
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Go Rick Go!

Glad to hear that CIC is on the mend and you have gotten back to the important work of model building. An excellent choice, of course, anything IJN is an excellent choice by my standards.

I had never watched a "waterline build" cardmodel ship happen yet so this should be interesting to say the least.

A side note, you got me intersted in the Soviet Monitor you were going to build, so much so that I went and purchased the kit, Boy, talk about a step back in time compared to the modern day kits in the collection.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That's great news about Frances, Rick! Thanks for letting us know.

I'm very excited about this build. The Tone and Chikuma were unique warships -- very attractive and unusual. It's good to see that you are building one.

I rather like waterline models and am also glad to see this variation.

You are clearly off to a good start with a nice clean and true build under way in your immaculate workspace.

We have some terrific Japanese warships built and on the ways. Lot's to see and learn from in days ahead.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Go Rick Go!

Glad to hear that CIC is on the mend and you have gotten back to the important work of model building. An excellent choice, of course, anything IJN is an excellent choice by my standards.

I had never watched a "waterline build" cardmodel ship happen yet so this should be interesting to say the least.

A side note, you got me intersted in the Soviet Monitor you were going to build, so much so that I went and purchased the kit, Boy, talk about a step back in time compared to the modern day kits in the collection.
That is the charm of the older kits, they are almost toy like, yet they can be as nice as you want them to be. These were the kits us old timers teethed on and I have purchased a few more just for the fun of, ie: 1970 style Strassenbahn (Street Car) which I must admit is way more detailed than I expected. As for the Monitor, I plain to re-do, put thru the enlargement process and build, but as a waterline. So the Monitor is just set aside for the time being. To tell the truth, I did not like the hull bottom, very hard to line up and gaps for days, for this reason, waterline build next. I have been watching your builds as well, and you have done well to learn the tricks and details of working with paper, far from plastic I might add. I think your latest build looks like you have become old hat already at the assembly of the hull, great plating job on the hull. And as always, I am glad to hear from you.:DRick
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good news about your wife, and glad to see your shipyard back in business. Nothing quite like a new build. Looks like a big one!
Mike
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Good news there, Rick!! I had a long multi year spell of the same problems and found that building models really helped me to handle my stress.

I don't have that explanation for my behavior now so I guess that I might like the hobby.

I've been using spot gluing at the joints to lessen hull shrinkage and bananing with my own designed kits and it seems to help quite a bit. Of course I have a design system that I use to minimize bowing. But I wonder if spot gluing would work on a commercial kit. Any interest in being a guinea pi.... test subject, that is? Just another of my wild a**ed thoughts.

BTW, I also have been very interested in this cruiser for quite a while and am extremely glad to see you tackle it. Thanks for sharing!

Carl
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
Good news there, Rick!! I had a long multi year spell of the same problems and found that building models really helped me to handle my stress.

I don't have that explanation for my behavior now so I guess that I might like the hobby.

I've been using spot gluing at the joints to lessen hull shrinkage and bananing with my own designed kits and it seems to help quite a bit. Of course I have a design system that I use to minimize bowing. But I wonder if spot gluing would work on a commercial kit. Any interest in being a guinea pi.... test subject, that is? Just another of my wild a**ed thoughts.

BTW, I also have been very interested in this cruiser for quite a while and am extremely glad to see you tackle it. Thanks for sharing!

Carl
I am game, what you got in mind.Rick
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Instead of putting glue on all the joining edges as you assemble the frame, assemble the frame dry first. Then put spots of glue at the intersections/corners of parts as well as at the far edges. Get glue on the surfaces but use as little as possible. The idea is that the FRAME provides the structure and stiffness and the glue is only there to hold it in place, not as a structural adhesive.

Carl
Google Adsense