PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! (^%$#!&!^@#!!)

Beginning just forward of the center of Barbette Charlie, there is a cutting error in the stringers that caused the stern to be 1.464° out of true. (at least that's what Pythagoras says)

I'm not entirely sure why it happened, but I know what caused it. That area is right at Stringers 19-23. When I was building, I could not find the final version of the stringers from the original hull design, and simply cut one side to fit, matched the length on the other side, and kept going. That, apparently, caused the small angular error.

Dontcha just hate it when that happens?

On a brighter note, (and I can't help myself because of the way they turned out) I got my test-parts from my friend in Charleston, who is 3D printing all my AA guns and Main Battery gun blocks. The first prototype prints came in the mail yesterday, and this is what they look like when finished, with Fred demonstrating their scale:

I'm not really happy with the paint, as it was supposed to be flat, so I guess I'm going to go with the Testors' Model Master flat grey, even though it is not exactly the right color.

So, it's not being a total bust, but at least I can keep going.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I was going to be posting an update, but two things have managed to get in the way...

#1: I have to paint my dad's garage. I would make him do it, but he's 83, and can't hold a paint brush while up on a ladder anymore... Heh.... The problem with that is, we need three days in a row of no rain, so the thing can dry out, and we haven't had that. Oh well. I could work on the model in the interim, but that brings up...

#2: I've sort of hit a plateu in my motivation to build. I've gotten the forward citadel structure together, and have most of the fiddly bits for it either ready to cut or already cut but not built. I also have the parts for the aft citadel structure already designed and ready to build out, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything to it. I don't know why, but I just feel "blah" about it. Maybe it's because I took my brother's kid to a local living history event last weekend, and he was really impressed with it, which is completely mystifying. This kid (15) only wants to sit on his tuckus and play video games all day, but now he's all up into Colonial history. He asked me about how to obtain or make colonial clothes, and I am just dumbstruck that he'd do that. Oh well, now that's one more project I need to start, in addition to running into a friend of mine at the event, who wanted to know if I still had my Lord Nelson gear. I do, but I'm 40 pounds past that, and if they want me to portray him next year, I will have to make a whole new uniform... sigh...

So, dear friends and papercutters... Fear not, I am still intending to finish this, but it's sort of slowed down at the moment...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
IMHO, the worst thing to do with a model is to push on when you get that 'blah' feeling...time to do something else for a while...

I have a friend in New Jersey whose got into the Reenactment scene after he retired from the Army: he loves it and from what i can see from his experiences it is a great community that would be very welcoming to the likes of your nephew who have an interest...

They are currently running a Kickstarter campaign for some colonial themed playing cards - this may or may not be of interest but the clips and links in the Kickstarter page may provide some insights into the community... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...istory-on-deck