PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor

Hello ladies and gentlemen, fellow paper modelers!

Let's start this thread with some good news. I just received the result of my final yesterday, i passed all the exams with pretty decent result (8.0 out of 10 ain't bad), and thus i had finally finished my obligatory 12-year education! a milestone i had waited for so, so long. For now i just wait for the graduation, and doing what i do best: Drawing and paper modeling

And tonight, i want to present my newest build: A free ship model by Paper Shipwright, the Rhein-class riverine monitor. At first glance Paper Shipwright's models share some similarities with JSC, most notably the small-scale waterline designs and the former assembly, which is, pretty fine in my opinion

Assembly starts with the hull and casemate, which conveniently grouped on the second page. Coincidentally the thickness from freeboard to waterline is (almost) similar with my cardstock, so i could omit much of the kit formers without sacrificing the sturdiness. fitting is very good so far, and i haven't met any drama yet

Here's some pics:
1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211592.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211593.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211596.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211599.jpg
1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211600.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211602.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211605.jpg
Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Great job on the exam! I still have another two years at my private high school before I can be free...

The monitor is looking good so far, I haven't built any ships in a while but after seeing this I wil definitley add this to my list of kits to build.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Yes! Congratulations on passing your exams. I can't imagine being in school now and having all those exams to study for and then have to pass.

The monitor is looking fine. Look forward to more on this. PS has a lot of nice models. Always wanted to tackle one.

JoeG
Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.64 MB
Selamat Raja. Now school is over this is one less thing to get in the way of paper modelling. A good start on this one. I'll follow with interest as this one is in my to-build pile.

Benihana
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Congratulations, Raja. Whether your plans include college or a paid job, I hope everything works out well.

Your Rhine monitor is fascinating -- not just the model, but the actual vessel. What time period was this, how many such vessels were there, how big were they, and what action did they see? Mondorfer Bastelbogen offers a river galley of the second or third centuries CE (Römische Flussliburne, Mondorfer Bastelbögen - Mondorfer Bastelbögen), but law enforcement on the Rhine is not a familiar part of history for me.

Best regards.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
My congrats, also on passing your exams.

I look forward to following your build as I've been wanting to build this model for years. Thus far it looks promising.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
My congrats too, for your exams passed....

I have built this model some years ago, as one of my first step in paper modeling and it was a great fun to build.
I have learned also some new tricks during such building.

I'll follow this thread with interest and attention.

happy modeling !!

Jp
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Matt, wish you success in your school! Study hard, play hard and breathe, you'll gonna be fine!

The Rhein-class monitors were built by AG Wesser shipyard in bremen in the aftermath of the 1870-1871 Franco-Prussian war. They were designed to defend German border and Railway bridges over Rhein and Mosel rivers against possible French war of revenge after the Franco-Prussian War. There were two ships built, each named after the river they're (supposedly) assigned, both ship armed with a pair of 12-centimeters bronze cannon in revolving turret above the casemate. Both ships were laid down in 1872 and launched later that year; they were both commissioned into the Imperial Navy on 25 April 1874. They spent the first year of their career at Rheinhaussen, until 7 April 1875, when they were transferred to the defenses of Coblenz.

By the time the two monitors entered service, the prospect of a French attack had decreased, prompting the Navy to question the usefulness of retaining the vessels. As a result, they were quickly removed from service. Both ships were sold for scrap in December 1884

There is a short history included in the kit, providing some info about its structures and operational history

So here's the upper deck jig and front and rear casemate wall

1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211606.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211610.jpg
1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211611.jpg1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211612.jpg
1/250 Rhein-Class River Monitor-p5211613.jpg
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Selamat yaa Raja.... good thing i am class of 93 (yea' that old) lol....

i never build a ship before... so i will bookmarked it this thread.

Best Regard,
Loui
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great build. I did this one a couple years ago. I like his offerings and have a couple more of his. Good luck with your - it looks great.