PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP64 View Post
Hi, Bumbury...

If I can suggest.... the 160g paper is good for a lot of structures, but it hasn't enough strength for the bridge...

You should glue the deck paper on cardboard, using a cardboard from 0,5 to 1 mm thickness.. not more and not less.

I also suggest you to use a spray glue (the permanent one...not the not-movable type) to glue the deck to the cardboard....that you can buy at artist shop (I use one produced by 3M and a can is enough for many models...)

The advantage when using this glue is that avoids any "wrinkle" on the paper.

Don't forget, anyway, to put over the laminated pieces some weight (possibly very flat like heavy books...I use the volumes of a very old encyclopedia that are big, large and heavy.... )

Have a nice modeling

ciao
JP
ciao hello and thanks.... i appreciate the advise i'll be looking for the spray glue and the card board.. this week... you'v got a great build here and im impressed... all my ship building experience is with wooden plank on bulk head models and 1 from scratch so the paper one i start will be a 1st for me... funny paper seems more daunting than the wooden ones so much to learn... the basic structur of the ship is always going to be the same but to me getting the paper to behave properly will be intereting.... ... but again thanks...
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbury View Post
ciao hello and thanks.... i appreciate the advise i'll be looking for the spray glue and the card board.. this week... you'v got a great build here and im impressed... all my ship building experience is with wooden plank on bulk head models and 1 from scratch so the paper one i start will be a 1st for me... funny paper seems more daunting than the wooden ones so much to learn... the basic structur of the ship is always going to be the same but to me getting the paper to behave properly will be intereting.... ... but again thanks...
Hi Bumbury

don't think that we are so distant in our modelling experiences... i'm building paper model since a couple of years and for last thirty year (more or less) I've built only plank-on-frame wooden models, usually in 1:75 and 1:100 scale. all from scratch... just working on plans and on builders' drawings.

I have built also in my far past some galleons and sails ship, but in the last 12-15 years my preference was for military ships, in the age ranging from 1860 until 1890.... ironclads, battleships, cruisers ... the most unusual and "ugly looking" possible... :-), like the american USS Cairo, USS Roanoke,the italian RN Terribile and RN Regina Maria Pia, the german SMS Sachsens,the confederate/japanese CSS Stonewall/Kotetsu, the spanish Pelayo and some others more...

After so long time of "traditional" wooden ship building, I was hit from "paper fever" and this change took time but now I'm fully involved in this paper model area.....

There is one thing to bear in mind.... paper is another type of material, different from wood, plastic and metal.... that could bring a lot of satisfaction...but it's a material you must "understand" step by step..... with time...

it's not more or less difficult to manage from other materials... it's just "different".. and I'm sure that with the help and examples of many friends here, you'll be able to manage paper at the best...

ciao and happy modeling !!

Jp
Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.38 MB
JP thanks i do believe we'v been down the same road.. i'v done the 1849 la hussard, the indipendance, the rattlesnake, blue shadow as my last project.. im looking forward to running down this road now... after all paper is just wood just a little thinner.. ... besides the POB models have gotten so expensive these days i wonder how a working man can get into the hobby... either way i am looking forward to the expanded posabilities of the paper models....
Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
A super post very nicely illustrated with photos. I have never tried card modelling before but your project shows what can be done.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Welcome Hengist! Thanks for joining the forum. Take your time, look around and above all, ask questions. You'll pick up the necessary skills before you know it. A good place to start is the Tips and Tricks section of the forum. Click on the forum tab in the upper right corner of any page, Then scroll down until you see Tips and Tricks, It's not far down the list.
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Hello to all paper modelers !!!

Here a little update of the Peresvet.

I have mounted all the secondary battery guns, on lateral barbettes and I have cut and positioned the hinged panels in opened positions.

I made "just" those updates on the yard... I hade very few time to build something more....

Anyway...here the pics.

have a nice modeling !!
ciao

Jp

Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Very nice JP!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello JP,
That is real nice work with the open casemates.
Along with the individual panels, you included the "hinges".
Very effective detailing.
Mike
Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.73 MB
I am not a fan of ships from that era, but when I see this amazing model I start to think about making one...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:57 AM

hello and good morning/afternoon/night (depending in which part of the world you're...) to all paper modelers

Slowly, the model of Peresvet is going on..

I built some superstructures in the stern bridge and the upper parts of shields in the central part of the upper bridge.

Looking at the Persevet and her sister ships I have found a possible "mistake" (but I'm not sure at all) done by producer.

In the rear part of the casamate where are hosted the rapid-firing guns, there are in this models two places, where the "wall" is lowered to permit the fire.

Looking at the original pictures of Peresvet, just only one (during the building of the ship) shows such situation.
In all the other pics took in her operative life, a couple of such reduction are not presents and the wall is at the same height and straight.

Instead, in her sister ship, this situation is witnessed by pictures....

Where is the right ?? Honestly I don't know....

I have decided to follow the Orel instructions (that are very unclear about this situation), but I'm really not sure that it's completely right.

I hope to work on the model a bit more during next weeks before holidays..
have a nice modeling

ciao

Jp