PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pancernik SHIKISHIMA GPM 1:200

A new project after a long spell of plastic, now want to work w/card.
Attached Thumbnails
Pancernik SHIKISHIMA GPM 1:200-shikishima-7-facta-nautica.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM

I do want to say this about building the Shikishima, I am following in the footsteps of a Master Builder, his name was Hans Gerd aka docrox. I have saved his thread and will refer to oft for all the wonderful insight into the building of this kit. I can but hope to build to his standards, heres to you ole friend.
Rick
Old 06-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Ah, this was my very first paper ship model -- albeit the 1/400 JSC version. This one is certainly bound to turn out much nicer!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I look forward to your build. I was very close to buying this, and had done a fair bit of research in preparation, but then the Orial Mikasa was released, which is what I really wanted, so I got that. One feature of the GPM Shikishima I wondered about was the top deck. It runs across the full width on the kit, as I understand it. My impression is that it was open, like the Mikasa and similar British battleships, and I was going to modify it thus. But I could not find any pictures or plans to confirm this. Other models in different mediums have the deck open, which is what swayed my decision.
The Hans Gerd build certainly sets the bar high, doesn't it.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Hello hikokibert, interesting point. And as you have pointed out, these types of vessels do in fact have a open deck and she was a British built ship, so why the change. I have no clue other than maybe that it was requested to be built this way and just as you have pointed out, very little material to go by. So as GPM has designed is the way I shall follow. However it is clear you have much insight into this subject, so please feel free to advise. I have had this kit for some time, I have the frame set, turned barrels and the PE. I will build in the all gray upper works. Looks more like a Battle Ship that way.
Rick
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Rick,
I remember Hans Gerd's Shikishima.
It left a good impression.
Wishing you lots of luck with yours.
Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM

The deck of Shikishima is not well designed - it looked totally different (The part where funnels are. Even the publisher admitted it when I have pointed it). Be careful with that.

Kuba
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubeksus View Post
The deck of Shikishima is not well designed - it looked totally different (The part where funnels are. Even the publisher admitted it when I have pointed it). Be careful with that.

Kuba
. I will keep this in mind and thanks for the info. I guess when it comes to the task of what the designer has to work with for a vessel from this time/period......is not hard to miss something or just have to wing it to make the design work. I bet for anything later than the 20th Century, a lot of details get lost in kits!
Rick
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Working on the laser cut frame, is the one produced by GPM f/this kit. I have pretty much tried to acquire the laser cut frames f/all the ship kits I have (GMP). Well HMV does not need them. But I have come to hate laminating to card and then cutting out, getting lazy in my ole age I guess, or wiser, I believe the wife might debate that issue on wiser!
So, as I was saying, prepping the frame work f/assembly. I have not been rushing and should have it glued up by tomarrow, photos to follow.
Of late, I have been spending alot of time on EU Forums looking @ how they get the smooth flowing hull bottoms/sides.......I do believe I have stumbled upon something, of which I have seen afew do it here as well.......might try my hand @ this technique. Photos to follow to show you what I am talking about. Or if you have a idea on this, please feel free to reply and teach this ole dog a new trick.
Rick