PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think I will 1) make same model but waterline so it goes quicker or 2) make different model that seems easier and is larger to work with.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I would suggest using a tacky PVA glue (or Duco cement) as oppossed to Contact Cement. Try to use as little glue as possible. If you use too much it makes the paper pulpy. Shaping the side plates to match the hull shape before you glue them on makes them stay in place better therefore less pressure is required. This can be done with any cylindrical object (knitting needle, wooden dowel etc). This practice combined with tacky glue will result in a cleaner joint. Also you might consider using a plain paper joining strip on the back of the bow area where you bring the split together to form the complex curve. In all cases test the fit and alignment before gluing.

I always glue the entire bottom edge of the side plate on then the top edge to the deck. Make sure the top edge is aligned with the deck as you go. I do a little bit at a time, a couple of inches at most. Glueing the bottom edge first will hold the top edge against the deck side tight enough that no pressure is normally required. I hold the seam open at the top with a piece of folded card stock while I apply glue, moving the folded card stock along as I go. I start at the bow and work my way aft. The last little bit I glue with the tip of my xacto knife blade.

I hope you give this model another try in the future.

~ cheers

Last edited by B-Manic; 04-07-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have a little Uhu Kleber left and I like that a lot. I don't know who sells it here. It is clear glue. I know what you mean about the paper getting mushy.

I cut parts out today and started a different model. I have most of the frame done except one piece seems too small and I need to study it and maybe make a new one.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Michael's Arts & Crafts sells Uhu here in several forms. I suspect other craft stores might also.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Thank you. I have seen Uhu stick glue at Michaels but not the Cellulose glue. But I can get Duco.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM

KGL,
Thank you for sharing - I learned a nice tip from you - burnishing the bow part with the scrap-booking tool :o) I look forward to the completed model.
Loadmat