PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hello Grizz,
You are welcome.
Can I recommend Ecardmodels.com for some excellent ACW card kits in 1/250scale.
I'm plugging away steadily but a whole slew of new info recently has temporarily stopped me while I incorporate it.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.25 MB
The only time that i have available to work on this is the weekends, so last night i was able to put on the first layer of hull and the test fit lower knuckle. I've decided to make a square casemate template so that i can build either octagonal or square. The hull will be finished in cut strips. I have to add the keel and then I'll work on the upper knuckle and casemate.

Vern
Attached Thumbnails
Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-hull-skin.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-bow-lower-knuckle.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-stern-lower-knuckle.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-half-lower-knuckled.jpg  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Weekends are the only time that i have to work on models or paint watercolors and i was fortunate to be able to put the first layer of the hull on. It will be covered with strips to give the planked hull look as Doris used to do so well with her fantastic sailing ships. I also laid on the lower knuckle templates. More work to come with the upper knuckles. I have planned to do the casemate octagonal but i made a templete for a square gundeck and casemate.

Vernon
Attached Thumbnails
Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-bow-lower-knuckle.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-stern-lower-knuckle.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-hull-skin.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-half-lower-knuckled.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 11:47 AM

I,finally have gotton to work on my CSS Charleston afder a long hiatus. I hulled it with strips of cardstock to replicate a wooden hulled ship and have cut down the casemate to build it with a square vs octagonal casemate. The formers for the casemate are in place and I have a Cottage Ind.,dahlgren on a Marseilly carriage to indicate where gunports sbould go. I,m working on pilothouses, the stack and ve.tilation louvers for the casmate roof.I,ve read everything that I can find and wwill paint hsr in the rust red/tan scheme wite wbite/-lt grey stack.,Does anyone have a quess as to the cours enployed on the boats/provisioning masts fire and aft.
VERNON S. now in Norfolk Va.
Attached Thumbnails
Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-20170702_130025.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-20170702_125956.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-20170702_130033.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-20170702_125931.jpg  
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Work progresses slowly after problems with my heart. I have 2 9" Dahlgrens on pivot carriages for the fore and aft and 4 Brookes for the broadside guns on Marseilly carriages. I'm using Cottage industries gun kits to build out the casemate.
Attached Thumbnails
Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-chas-gundeck-interior.jpg   Building CSS Charleston 180 ft. ironclad-broadside-guns.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Nice work!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.73 MB
Model is looking very nice !

I see you have not posted in a while. I do hope your doing better healthwise?

I recently finished a PSWrightUK Monitor, and have a great interest in all Ironclads, Tinclads, Monitors and early Gunboats.

I hope you will find more time to fnish your model, and soon !

Ricardo
Old 09-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanks Ricardo
My wife encouraged me by purchasing the USS West Virginia and Uss Ward as well as the Spanish cruiser Cristobal Colon. So when i get Charleston done I'm either building CT's 1/72 Palmetto State or starting on one of the purchased models.

Vernon
Old 01-25-2021, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
My 1/72 scale never went anywere. I got it started and some of the individual models made good models in themselves like the guns. I never was able to finish it and have only now discovered the files with what work I had done. Maybe I will have time to move on with it but that scale did complicate thing!