Total Downloaded: 82.12 MB
Yep, and translating for Herky's benefit, that's 748ft

SS Rotterdam
Old 10-12-2014, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
938 feet? Ah, you mean 286,1 m
And the Paris would be 233 m. In that case, shouldn't the ss Rotterdam not be included, I believe she was 238 m.
i didnt write the book i just read it
Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Here's a surprise for you Herky ;
I went to my local Hastings Bookstore ? The other day . Found a book on Tragic Ships of the World .In it there were three you cut out and put together . Basic and not to many pieces . What were they ? Titanic , France and the Andrea Doria .! ! ! All came out the same length ( about eight inches ) and were not that great . Store employee said he found it in the "return to publisher " bin in the back .
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
I've remembered at home having an old russian book "Blue Ribbon of Atlantic" S.I.Belkin, 1975.
This book was my first introduction with marvelous transatlantic liners history.

The book also has a list of vessels according according Blue Ribbon record times:
(Ship name / year when the record was achived/ days; hours; minutes/ average speed)

The books is old and the information ain't very accurate. For example author do not exclude sister ships Lusitania/Maurtanai, Bremen/Europa, Rex, Cont de Silva...

The profiles are given more-less in the same scale (I guess) and see what an achivement of engineering was Great Eastern!

Last edited by sharunas; 10-13-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: wrong book title
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersurprise50 View Post
I went to my local Hastings Bookstore ? The other day . Found a book on Tragic Ships of the World .In it there were three you cut out and put together . Basic and not to many pieces . What were they ? Titanic , France and the Andrea Doria .! ! ! All came out the same length ( about eight inches ) and were not that great . Store employee said he found it in the "return to publisher " bin in the back .
never seen a card andrea doria
Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
I've remembered at home having an old russian book "Blue Ribbon of Atlantic" S.I.Belkin, 1975.
This book was my first introduction with marvelous transatlantic liners history.

The book also has a list of vessels according according Blue Ribbon record times:
(Ship name / year when the record was achived/ days; hours; minutes/ average speed)

The books is old and the information ain't very accurate. For example author do not exclude sister ships Lusitania/Maurtanai, Bremen/Europa, Rex, Cont de Silva...

The profiles are given more-less in the same scale (I guess) and see what an achivement of engineering was Great Eastern!
the book i have is called "The atlantic liners 1925-70" by frederick emmons
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
im wondering why the france would be included as a 'tragic' SHIP
Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Hi , Herky ;
Do you have a list like that on the smaller liners ( one stack ) that plied that cold dark sea ? Papersurprise 50
The book is divided by nationalities then the shipping lines and ships concerned.give me a country or shipping line and i will give you a list of their ships with details
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Smile S.S. Andrea Doria

Herky ;
What I am specifically looking for is the Andrea Doria and the Christoforo Columbo in particular They Were supposed to be sisters ? Now here's the hard one, the two Moore-Mcormack liners . one is well known as the Brazil/Brasil ? I'll even take one that remotely resembles the Lurline in a size I can accomodate . Plus any civilianized Victory Ship . Not Libertys .
Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Cool S.S. France

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
im wondering why the france would be included as a 'tragic' SHIP
I think it's because of her ignominous demise because of carelessness/sabotage ? Remember, she wasn't that old . Sorry , I was thinking of the Normandy . As to the France being in there all they gave was a date and no details .

Last edited by papersurprise50; 10-17-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: wrong ship named
Google Adsense