PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
There were two SS France's. The 1961 one had a 40+ year career and was scrapped in 2006. I think the one y'all are referring to is the 1912 one. From Wikipedia:

The Great Depression sounded the death knell for the liner. Many of the millionaires she had carried over the years had been financially destroyed and the general downturn in business cut deeply into transatlantic travel. France spent more and more time idle, until she finally was withdrawn from service in 1932. Laid up at Le Havre, she sat unattended until January 1933, when a fire was discovered by a night watchman. Although it was rapidly extinguished, the fire had caused some minor damage, but by now she was outclassed by her newer running-mates. CGT had by then commissioned a new flagship, the great Normandie which was nearing completion.[2] As a result, the company decided it was time to scrap the 21-year-old liner. On 15 April 1935, the old France departed Le Havre under her own steam to the scrappers at Dunkirk, France.[3]
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
There were two SS France's. The 1961 one had a 40+ year career and was scrapped in 2006. I think the one y'all are referring to is the 1912 one. From Wikipedia:

The Great Depression sounded the death knell for the liner. Many of the millionaires she had carried over the years had been financially destroyed and the general downturn in business cut deeply into transatlantic travel. France spent more and more time idle, until she finally was withdrawn from service in 1932. Laid up at Le Havre, she sat unattended until January 1933, when a fire was discovered by a night watchman. Although it was rapidly extinguished, the fire had caused some minor damage, but by now she was outclassed by her newer running-mates. CGT had by then commissioned a new flagship, the great Normandie which was nearing completion.[2] As a result, the company decided it was time to scrap the 21-year-old liner. On 15 April 1935, the old France departed Le Havre under her own steam to the scrappers at Dunkirk, France.[3]
i know of the second one that ended up as the norway but had not heard of the other one.Going on the title of the book mentioned i assumed there had been i shipping disaster i had missed
Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
Hi I'm a big fan of liners models, so I'm searching for Aquitania, Mauretania, Lusitania, Queen Mary, Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, etc paper models, does anybody know how could I download any of them or even buy? I'm specially interested in Aquitania and Mauretania
Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcolanz13 View Post
Hi I'm a big fan of liners models, so I'm searching for Aquitania, Mauretania, Lusitania, Queen Mary, Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, etc paper models, does anybody know how could I download any of them or even buy? I'm specially interested in Aquitania and Mauretania
ok here goes.the ones i know of are
Mauretania-free download on this site and also jsc make one
Queen Mary-jsc
Normandie-jsc

queen elizabeth,aquitania and lusitania i cant help with.there may be some out there

Last edited by herky; 10-25-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey , Herky ;
The models ,to me weren't fit to be even on cereal boxes .After checking my many photos and drawings at my brother's house, I found the paper ship they are calling the ( Andria Dorria ? ) was definitely not well thought out .
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
I'd love to see a card model of the SS America, SSUS's little sister. She served in WW2 as the USS West Point, then was converted back to cruise livery after the war.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersurprise50 View Post
Hey , Herky ;
The models ,to me weren't fit to be even on cereal boxes .After checking my many photos and drawings at my brother's house, I found the paper ship they are calling the ( Andria Dorria ? ) was definitely not well thought out .
i know of the andria doria but have never seen a good model of her
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Anne View Post
I'd love to see a card model of the SS America, SSUS's little sister. She served in WW2 as the USS West Point, then was converted back to cruise livery after the war.
never seen one of the america either
Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
I have a 1/1200 scratchbuild of the America on my web site at www-dot-rlbeward-dot-net. The folder is called "Ship Model Gallery".

As for the Moore-McCormack, the sister of the Brasil was the Argentina. There was a plastic kit, which I updated to reflect her later appearance. I also did most of a scratchbuild of the Andrea Doria. I've moved since then, so they are both packed away somewhere.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
My attention was caught by this thread, and I noticed that no Dutch names have been mentioned so far. I googled a bit and found a very long (but not complete) list on List of ocean liners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few words of explanation. There have been three periods of mass emigration from Europe in the 20th century. Most emigrants went to the USA and Canada; later on, Australia and New Zealand became 'popular'.
The first started at the end of the 19th century, lasting until the beginning of WW I. The Titanic was the most famous name of that period, but there must have been hundreds of ships from almost all maritime European nations. Go to Ellis Island and look at a wall covered with postcards of those ships...
The second occurred during the economic disaster years in the 20ties and 30ties. Though cheap transport for emigrants was probably by far the most important for the shipping companies, enormous publicity was given to the first class luxury and speed provided - the Blue Ribbon competition illustrates that. And remember Titanic, the movie for that atmosphere?!
The third wave took place in the first twenty years after WW II, when many Europeans sought their hopes for the future in the New World.
Of course after that, passenger liners were very quickly pushed off the market with the arrival of long distance passenger planes - the famous Constellation being one of the first.
It might be interesting to check the whole list for availability of paper models, and of course for oversights. Personally, I would also like to see systematic addition of nationality and shipping companies...

I selected the Dutch liners on the list to add them to this thread. You can contact me if you are interested in the paper models. Please note: the Scaldis models were all designed by JSC, and are of very high quality. Of course laser cut detail sets are available. The other models are much simpler, but still very attractive in the hands of a reosonably experienced builder.
Sorry for the layout here: the Excel lines are not accepted by the forum software.

name / launched /paper model available / Renamed / How the ended their lives…
MS*Achille Lauro 1947 no 2 Different names (See: MS Willem Ruys) Sank on December 2, 1994
MS*Angelina Lauro 1938 2 Different names (See:*MS*Oranje) -
MS Johan van Oldenbarnevelt 1929 Scaldis 2 Different names (See:*TSMS Lakonia) -
SS Maasdam 1952 Uitgeverij De Prins
SSNieuw Amsterdam 1936 Veritas; Schreiber Scrapped in 1974
SS Noordam 1902 Kungsholm Scrapped in 1927
MS*Oranje 1938 Scaldis 2 Different names Destroyed by fire on March 30, 1979 and sank.
SS*Rotterdam 1958 Scaldis 2 Different names Preserved as a Hotelship in Rotterdam
SS*Ryndam 1951 Uitgeverij De Prins 4 Different names Sunk in 2003 while on the way to the scrapyard
SS Statendam 1957 Veritas; Schreiber
MS Willem Ruys 1947 Scaldis 2 Different names (See:*MS Achille Lauro) -

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 10-28-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Google Adsense