PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cool Edmund Fitzgerald

Well;
In all my years ! Don't she just look fitting and ready to cross the lake ! Very nice job on both of them . I haven't a clue where these sites you fellows talk about can be found !
I am not that computer savvy so ,There's the first hurdle . I like your Titanic , nice and clean !
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Edmund Fitzgerald Paper Model by RocketmanTan on deviantART

http://www.currell.net/models/titanic.htm
Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosolitudes View Post
After my first build (Graf Zeppelin 1:700), I decided to tackle a couple ships I've always been interested in to gain more experience.

R.M.S. Titanic: This is the free Ralph Currell model, and I have to say I really enjoyed building this one, although the size and detail level were challenging for me. It was printed on my HP Deskjet, and turned out ok considering it's done on plain paper. Still requires some finishing touches. I've since decided that all of my future builds will be on a heavier stock, laser printed, and larger scale (if possible).

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald: This is the excellent Bryan "Rocketman" Tan model which I found at his DeviantART pages on the web, and the first time I've had a model printed on the heavier grade of paper. Perfect for my level of paper modelling experience, and another really enjoyable build. This one is complete, using all of the parts supplied, but I have added the American flag flying from the stern and find myself tempted to try adding railings and other details.

I've since gone on a binge, downloading all of the free models I've found of interest, and had a few of them printed at my local copy centre.

Cheers,

Rob "Twosolitudes"
Nice work! I want to build these two as well one of these days. I'm curios to hear how you like the laser printed models compared to inkjet. I've been using laser printed ones for the past year or so and have found that quite often the toner flakes off along the fold lines when the paper is folded. You then have to touch that up with a marker or something. I still have a fair stack of models I've pre-printed on a laser printer, but for any new stuff I'm now going back to inkjet printing because of that.

Look forward to seeing your future builds.

Steve
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice work. I like the way you have displayed Titanic.

Looking forward to your future models.

Don
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 142.36 MB
So far, I haven't had the flaking problems with the laser, but they've been done at a print shop, so that might have something to do with it. The colour is nice and rich, and the glue when used sparingly won't soak through the heavier stocks.

I like the convenience of the inkjet, but I don't think I can use the thicker stock in it that I feel is better for the models, and I find the colour a little less dark than I'd prefer. When I made the Graf Zeppelin from inkjet, the glue tended to soak through the paper and caused an ink-splotching effect that I wasn't pleased with.

I think I have to try another Currell using laser printing (Britanic or Olympic maybe) to compare.

Thanks again everyone for the supportive remarks, they're much appreciated.
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Very nice looking builds.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
If that is what you're producing as a beginner, I can't wait until you get a few builds under your belt. Those are fine-looking builds, and thanks for sharing the photos!