PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for sharing your building tips, Lala.

I agree with Peter. You have a nice little flotilla built and under construction (once you get that pesky submarine sorted out).

Don
Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
HMS Cossack Finish

I finish this nice model this afternoon. I was surprised for a model of a large boat with some small parts, it builds nice and was not hard. I get sloppy making the four gun towers because they are identical and that is not interesting for me. I also had difficulty making the cannon parts from pins. It is presented that you make pins to attach the towers to the ship so they rotate, but I glue them all in place. I make search-lights from pin wire with blob of glue for the lamp. The kit, it says to just use the head of a pin but I did not like that look. I make the flags from very thin paper cut from a store receipt. The masts are from Bamboo Shrimp Skewer again. I colored them grey with paint, which was hard to do in the tight areas around the chimneys. The model has no base so this is wood with construction paper glue on it and painted with clear gell glue. More glue will give a better texture. I get some glue on the sides of the model, but I do not think it is big issue as boats would be wet from spray and waves. This was a very very well done model, I think, and I add just some wood for stability, and some card behind one gun tower so you can't see inside the structure.

This is my Micromodels fleet now. I fixed the Sub marine some but the front mast is still broke at the top, and the periscopes are bent and crooked. I am not wanting to make this a third time any more. Who ever make this set did not do well in making the ships in size with each other... You can see at least on the Sub how I make the water more 3D which I will do on the Cossack with more glue.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are really turning out these models at a fast rate, Lala!

Thank you very much for telling us about the materials and the methods you used to build the models. I always like to have that information and I am always learning from you and the other model builders in the Forum.

I think the submarine looks fine as it is.

Don
Old 04-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Excellent builds! I really like the fleet shot.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you. As I work night time I have often time in the day. If I am not with friend playing tennis I work on this most often. I can make small models in about 3 days work. But now I will work tonight and most likely not be home until tomorrow. Then again I will work tomrrow night into Sunday. So I will not do so much then. Sunday I have large meal and play tennis again.
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thumbs up Nice work...

Hmmmmmmmm?

Somebody eats a lot of shrimp [to have all those Skewers]!!!!

Great fleet and nice tips for the builds. I'm a fan of creative uses of everyday materials, and you've got that down.

Now where can I get some shrimp skewers????

The DC
Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 PM

At Publix (market here) one can buy a skewer of 6-8 shrimps for $1.99. When I have cooked and eaten it, I save and wash the bamboo skewer. It is not hard to pare down with a knife as it is very hard but splits length-wise in straight sections. But I have only one skewer and it is used up now. I had saved it a while for projects.

I learn to use things like plastic from cigarette packages, silver and gold foil from candy, wood from sticks, etc. It is less dear that way than going out and buying those things all over again.

I cook not often at home. I don't have much in the way of kettles and skillets.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM

How fast builder you are!!!
You have already finished 3 ships and 2 buildings at lightning speed
On the other hand, I am the slowest builder:(
Looking forward to more of your build
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
On the other hand, I am the slowest builder:(
No, I think I'm probably slower than you....

Lala is really really fast and really good. I always love these tiny builds. Probably comes from my Z scale model train days...
Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Talking

"At Publix (market here) one can buy a skewer of 6-8 shrimps for $1.99." -Lala

Honestly, I was just making a joke. I have a rule of not consuming any animals that are that much lower in evolutionary progress, or whose species has that much more time logged in on the planet than mine, yes, including alligator!

Oh, well...I'll just have to go back to flirting with overly friendly cocktail waitresses (as if there was a possibility of them being too friendly...) to get my free toothpicks!

Still the scamp,
The DC
Google Adsense