PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-28-2015, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 81.41 MB
Hello Mike , nice progress , nice micro elements .

Henryk
Old 02-28-2015, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Michael,

I don't have to say how much I like that hull, its looking great. I can say the same for the gun placements.

I learned that the small details can completely change the appearance of a model. Being so, we shouldn't spare any time with those little parts. Those look great in your last pictures!

I have a few questions. Never built one of those "book models". Do you have to paint them? Do the frames need to be reinforced? Laser cut means the parts are sort of pre-cut?

best regards
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
The capstan looks very good Mike. Was it difficult to make and assemble? The gangway weather protect frame looks extremely delicate (read fiddley).
Thanks Elliott. The capstan was not difficult. The center section is made of wood. I spin a small cylinder of wood in my drill and shape it with a dremel. The remaining pieces are all paper.
Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edumalta View Post
Hello Michael,

I don't have to say how much I like that hull, its looking great. I can say the same for the gun placements.

I learned that the small details can completely change the appearance of a model. Being so, we shouldn't spare any time with those little parts. Those look great in your last pictures!

I have a few questions. Never built one of those "book models". Do you have to paint them? Do the frames need to be reinforced? Laser cut means the parts are sort of pre-cut?

best regards

Thank You Ed. The "book" models certainly differ from those released on CD or those that are downloaded. To answer your question: they do not require painting. Many of them are printed extremely finely.

Regarding Hull Frames: I always make my frames the same, whether it is a book or a CD model. I use 65lb card stock, and then I laminate it to double the thickness.

Regarding Laser Cut Parts: Yes, the parts are pre-cut using a laser cutter. The laser cutting process does very very fine cutting work with small complex parts. I am not certain about other publishers, but H.M.V. seems to be offering more and more sheets of laser cut parts for each of their models. Normally, I like to cut my own parts. However, since a set of "laser cut" parts was available for Beowulf, I decided to purchase it and get the first hand experience with what they are like. The quality of the laser cutting of these tiny parts is impressive.

Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Eternal Member

Mike-
Great-Wonderful methodology! I owe you some more correspondence. Get it to you ASAP.

Jimr
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Great job!
Excellent methodology that uses (you are very precise in your work).
Excellent techniques applicable to any model. Thanks for having explained.

Orazio
Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
making good progress mike

Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Mike, it´s very hard to comment your work, because it´s still clear and perfect. I´m just watching and learning a lot ( mainly your Masséna is the university of modeling for me ).

Jan
Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mike - Catching up on this superlative build. The overall ship is coming along beautifully. The various deck furniture is up to your usual standard and the gangway protect frame is absolutely astonishing.

Glad to see you and Jim in contact. I have been watching his model building magic for nearly 60 years.

Don
Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 202.82 MB
Your build just keeps getting better and better, Mike. HMV should publish your build as "detailed instructions".
In the deck furniture frame (I think it is picture 051) you have made a curve, a sort of dome, but in the previous picture you showed the frame being made on a flat grid. How did you curve the paper so evenly and accurately?
Google Adsense