PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question help with the GPM prince of wales?

allo..ok....set the badsworth aside while waiting for railing, started the sheffield and been looking over the prince of wales and well....quite confuzzled 0.o. main thing is i'm assuming the board needed is roughly 2mm for the hull frames correct? and all parts with * next to the numbers which seem to have slots the same width as the slots on the hull frame... are those also about 2mm? need help figureing this out so i can figure out how much board to aquire and what thickness of board :( nice kit, only one glaring error, great texture detail and weathering, wonderful diagrams but nothing clearly saying what is glued to what thickness...please help?
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Measure the width of the slots. It is likely 2mm for the hull frame. Normal practice for some Polish kits (but not all) is three asterixes means 2mm. Try to find something easy to cut, or your hand will hate you
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM

only markings on the hull frames are scissors where to seperate the parts and the part numbers, the hull frames i did find out are 2mm buuuuuut, i'm just confused about the other parts, still guessing they're 2mm which i find very weird.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Royaloakmin is right about the number of asterixes. Someone once posted that to make sure you get the right thickness of card for the formers is to measure the width of the slots you cut. That will tell you the thickness you need to make the formers.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Nikkie, here is the "usual" scale *=double with card of the same thickness (scrap card or "bristol"). **=.5mm card. ***=1mm card. ****=2mm card. BUT some skip the .5 card and use *** for the 1mm, so beware. This is often buried in the text instructions, so just look for the ******!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 PM

I have found this helps when looking for cardboard stock at local arts/craft stores. 1/16 = 2mm, 1/32 = 1mm. And as stated above, a little detective work is sometimes called for to find just what to use, usually found after much looking thru the kit! This use to drive me nuts until I started to use the gap to be cut with a set of dividers to get the correct amount of width to use. Here is another tip for cardboard, I go to the local Hobby Lobby, look under the stock for framing and find the cardboard used to keep in place. Now I have discovered that this cardboard for some reason is very stiff, sands like wood, does not twist/warp w/glue and cuts easy, best of all, they let me have for free. Is 1mm and this is what I use for the frame work of my ships. As for everything else, bristol either single and or doubled by lamination of two or more sheets.