PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear JRT:
Your model is from the dark ages When the norm was to build on a soft wood board the use of glass is newer and glues are better I also will say to use small dots of glue. By the way welcome to the forum, You should be able to post pictures have you gone down to the next box in reply to thread then clicked on manage attachments? You are very lucky to get that model it is one of the classic paper ship models.
Enjoy your new hobby,
Miles
Old 02-07-2015, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear JRT:
Your model is from the dark ages When the norm was to build on a soft wood board the use of glass is newer and glues are better I also will say to use small dots of glue. By the way welcome to the forum, You should be able to post pictures have you gone down to the next box in reply to thread then clicked on manage attachments? You are very lucky to get that model it is one of the classic paper ship models.
Enjoy your new hobby,
Miles
Thanks - yes the dark ages of 1999 :D

I will now add some photos of the cover and the overall plans below. Once I've finished afixing the waterline to the glass I'll post the first build pics as well.

Thanks for the welcome - I am really enjoying the build although I'm taking everything veryyyyy slowly. Figure it's better to check and double check everything before cutting and glueing, I'm in no particular rush to finish and would rather the piece is the best it can be.

If anyone else is keen to get their hands on a copy of the model, there's one still availabe from a seller in Germany:

JSC 261 - Linienschiff Lion | eBay

Looks like the instructions for that one are in Polish, but would be happy to scan someone the English translation of the instructions (or the German ones, which I also have) if anyone purchased it
Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Here's the front cover of the model and a shot of the overall plans.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Ok - so here's some photos of the hull outline which I've attached to my glass board with small dots of glue:

Old 02-07-2015, 09:45 PM

Added the spine and then the stern and bow pieces tonight. Next step is adding the frames along the length of the spine, about 27 of them in all so that will take a bit of time. Think I've done enough for one day though - it's 3.45AM here

It's addictive this paper modelling lark!

Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks - looking good.

And an interesting build thread with you providing all the detail and decisons along the way!

Keep it up. Will be watching.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:51 AM

Taken a while to get through the next stage - there were 24 individual frames to cut out and each one is lined with tabs of various heights on all sides (a little thing called 'work' also got in the way!).

But I've now completed these and attached the frames to the spine. Next step is to attach the 'sheer strake' on top of the frames which will support the sides and the deck.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:02 AM

Sheer strake now added - next step will beapplying the sides.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I would take the model off the glass before you apply the side plating, easier access. as you put the plates on, you can hold the model level on the glass with books or bean bags or similar weights.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:35 PM

So the side panels have now been added - was probably the trickiest part yet but am pleased with the results. I also have added the thin strips to the sides as shown in the 3rd pic below - anyone have any idea what these are supposed to be?

Since taking the photos I've also touched up the model to colour any cut edges so that there isn't any white showing through.

The shape of the ship is really coming together now - next step is to add the deck on top of this.

Google Adsense

Tags
battlecruiser, hms, jsc, lion, navy