PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 47.62 MB
That ship is looking nice, Don.

Jim
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Looks great! Unfortunately, Wilhelmshaven ALWAYS includes their logo somewhere on their models -- one of the reasons why I don't build many from this company. However, if the parts sheet has extra colored sections (for filling in gaps or other mistakes), you might be able to "patch over" the logo without looking too obvious. You could also do the same with a painted paper patch, but it's often difficult to match the shade and texture of the surrounding surface.

Adding your own anti-aircraft guns and gun shields would greatly improve the model, as well as making some of the deck features more three-dimensional. Difficult in 1:700 scale, but even basic reprentations may be worth the effort. Be advised that the USS Arizona did not have all her AA guns mounted by December 7, 1941, so if you desire more accuracy a couple gun positions should be empty.

I really like that base -- the ship already looks "alive". Good luck on the remainder of this project!

David T. Okamura
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
The bow wave and wake really do look good Don. Re the logo printed atop the deck - will it be covered up later in the build? A letter to the company expressing your opinion would not be out of order imho. Anyway you have an interesting thread going here. Looking forward to more.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I appreciate your kind comments, gents. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, Don. Unfortunately, the logo does not get covered later in the assembly, Elliot. What makes this extra annoying, David, is that the kit included a CD containing the model files. If I had noticed it earlier, I could have easily Photoshopped the logo out and printed a whole new piece. There is also a little white rectangle near the logo that I assumed was an attachment point for another part. Turns out it isn't, so now I have 2 unwanted features in close proximity to each other. I'll try to glue some sort of a patch over both, although matching the color exactly might be a challenge. Hopefully there will be a little scrap from the parts page I can work with - don't need much. Working in my favor is that there is so much detail on a ship model (even on this little one), that the average viewer might not even notice the logo and white rectangle (or a patch of a slightly different hue).

I'm starting on Step 4 now which is a big one and includes most of the little details. I'll document it in increments. Stay tuned.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Looking great, Don!

I have this kit too, in the to be built pile...one thing that disappointed me slightly was the treatment of the small guns...I was hoping they'd provide more details but they're just flat...something I'll have to consider changing when I get to building her....

Looking forward to more updates as you tackle this build further!!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks, Jim. You're right re the guns. Even the main guns are just long, thin rectangles, doubled over. Everything about this model is extremely simplified. I'm itching to get on to my next ship, which will be in 1:250 scale and much more detailed, so I'm just going to continue gaining experience with this one, building it as designed, despite its shortcomings.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 81.41 MB
USS Arizona beautiful ship , good luck
Maybe I manage to buy this with DIGITALNAVY oh oh .

Regards, Henryk
Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM

Progress continues slowly. I've been working on the midship superstructure. No fit problems or other difficulties to report. Here a few views: 3/4 side, from the stern and from the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
1/700 USS Arizona-step4midship.jpg   1/700 USS Arizona-step4midshipastern.jpg   1/700 USS Arizona-step4bow.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice Don. The application of talent, experience, and skill can turn a simple model into a beautiful object.

Don
Old 06-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Thanks, Jim. You're right re the guns. Even the main guns are just long, thin rectangles, doubled over. Everything about this model is extremely simplified. I'm itching to get on to my next ship, which will be in 1:250 scale and much more detailed, so I'm just going to continue gaining experience with this one, building it as designed, despite its shortcomings.
hmv have an incredible model of bismark at 1;250 give it a go
Google Adsense