PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Taschen Titanic 1:200

Started building the Taschen Titanic 1:200 scale model in paper as a dry run to perhaps a future model in aluminum cans. I have several of these kits lying around since they are relatively easy to pick up off of Amazon used for about $5 with shipping included. This is a huge model and as I started to lay out the formers I finally had a true indication of its large size. I could easily imagine building this out of Coca Cola cans perhaps in a slightly larger size:

More to come soon!

Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i found this made a simple but impressive model.plenty of scope for detailing etc,didnt like the lifeboat parts
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.68 MB
This baby looks huge! I have this on my shelf and have yet to start building. Will follow your thread with interest.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Before I started working on the model, I first took the numerous staples out of the booklet in order to free up the pages. After this was done, I cut out the parts of the initial frame for the hull and laid them under a large pile of books for 48 hours. I took the remaining parts pages and did the same in order to remove the curve that some of these pages had on them after being in booklet form for so long. This I believe will make the model much more stable and even to work with going forward.

Now I removed the hull pieces from under my pile of encyclopedias and began the process of mounting them to the side of my frames once the tabs were bent up. I am reinforcing the inside of the hull where the tabs glue to the hull sides to discourage any warping or bubbling of the hull pieces as I go.

There are also three support frames that have to be folded into position to support the center sections of the hull. I am reinforcing these supports with strips of 110lb card stock so firm up the center section as I work down it. So far, the reinforcing of the inside of the hull and the supports seems to not only make the model more stable, but it is preventing any unwanted bulges in the sides of the hull. It is nice and straight thus far.

So far so good. More to come soon!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Looking good, can't wait to see the progress.
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM

Still working on mounting the sides and reinforcing all the areas where the pieces join together.

The straight hull pieces were relatively easy to affix. The only minor issue being trying to line them up so that no large gaps of white appear between each seam. The tricky part of completing the hull was the stern section. There are four pieces to the stern and the directions aren't all that great, but I figured out that attaching the two larger pieces to the frame and then adding the two smaller pieces that cover the bottom end of the stern was the best approach. I finally have completed the hull section and have a straight and level hull:

Ready to move onto the deck assembly...
Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hull looks really good. Nice and solid. Great work. Thanks for the running commentary.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 PM

First and foremost as I continue construction, let me say that reinforcing every piece as much as possible is paramount with this kit. I have reinforced nearly every hull and deck piece with strips of 110lb card stock because it is very apparent that the printed pieces lack the strength in many cases to keep from buckling or warping.

Also the instructions, simply stated are not the greatest reference for building this model. Still the kit has potential and my build is taking shape with each piece that I add. I have before each section of building had to consult diagrams and blue prints to have a better understanding of how each pieces needs to go. With that said, onto the build.

Starting the deck:

Finally, the basic deck assembly is for the most part completed. I believe that the reinforcing has helped make it as straight and level as one could possible hope to get it with this kit. While this is perhaps not the most detailed or best kit of this wonderful liner, it is still a challenge to build and one that requires a delicate hand and some precision.

More to come soon!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM

For those who are still interested, more progress working the main deck of the Taschen Titanic.

More to come soon!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM

I am enjoying this build immensely because I am building for pure pleasure for once instead of doing it for commercial purposes as I normally do when building with my chosen medium which has inadvertently become my main source of income. Even though this model is hardly the most accurate, or the most stunning paper model representation of the Titanic available, it is a fun build that has brought me back to the roots of where and when I began model building. I am learning more skills that will be invaluable to me when I chose to return to my main medium and even though this Titanic may have errors or not be totally accurate, it is a vacation of sorts to build it.

On with my build:

Fixed a few errors and I have opted to replace some of the stock paper parts with my own as many of the predecessors who have built this model here have chosen to do. Bendy straw make excellent ventilator shafts while bamboo skewers make much better main masts than the provided paper ones:

Google Adsense