PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Lct-6

Here's the start of my fall project. I thought it would make an interesting addition to my collection of 1/72 scale war gaming figures and vehicles. The paper models have also increased my collection by providing ones that are unavailable. Our fellow club member Don Boose should find this build thread interesting as well as "Deck Ape" aka Boats.

These two pictures are an early test build of the Landing Craft Tank (LCT).
Right now the photos show only the starboard side and it sort of feels like a movie prop.

I plan to have at least two M4 Sherman tanks. Suggestions of other possible vehicles are welcome. I have several others ready to print/build, but need to get the LCT going first.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Lct-6-lct-6-1.jpg   Lct-6-lct-6-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
looks good and like the larger scale
Old 10-17-2015, 01:21 PM

Hi,

Glad to see some folks had a look at the test photographs in white paper. I awoke this morning thinking...maybe I'm "re making the wheel" because I didn't check to see if Digital Navy who makes great ship models has a LCT in their offerings. I did a quick check and didn't see any. So I suppose the other landing craft are at Paper Tiger Armaments and at least one other person has done a LCM besides the large scale 1/25 one from Europe.

The west coast of the U.S. has been having some hot & humid weather which has been getting in the way of building without some warping of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Lct-6-hull-1.jpg   Lct-6-hull-2.jpg   Lct-6-hull-3.jpg   Lct-6-hull-4.jpg   Lct-6-hull-5.jpg  

Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Coming along well, Jeff.

I made a comment on the day that you began this thread, but it has disappeared.

As you anticipated, I am following this amphibious build with great interest.

Don
Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM

A little more progress

Moving along, here are the port side structures and anchor winch spool.
Last photo shows stuff that could be done a better. In the CAD drawing
and in assembly of the end product. But I consider it half way between a scale model and a toy.
Attached Thumbnails
Lct-6-rear-hull-1.jpg   Lct-6-rear-hull-2.jpg   Lct-6-rear-hull-3.jpg   Lct-6-rear-hull-4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2015, 06:37 PM

Tracking.

Excellent.

Don
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Good work!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Coming together now

In the past week I have added the two winches to the bow area. They are totally incorrect from my research on the internet on the LCT/LSU. But I've left them as a homage to what inspired this project in the first place.

Starboard structures are in place as well as some of the detail fittings of the various vents and stacks. The anchor "cable" and spool are attached to the winch and anchor glued to the cotton thread painted black (Might be a bit thick/out of scale).

Photos 3,4,5 show the large "muffler" like looking equipment. I saw some photographs on the net showing what appears to be water being squirted out of them. So I'm guessing that these parts are "Bilge" pumps.

Number 6 is the search light and then attached to the bridge structure. The beginning of the many deck railings has begun. Somehow the catwalk between the starboard and port structures is 1/8" too long. So I cut it to fit between the bridge and the winch on the port side but then the railing posts became unbalanced. So it will need some fixing. I'm adjusting the parts in my CAD drawing as I run into problems that I find.

I better do the double capstans that hold the mooring ropes when the LCT is at the dock. It will be harder to glue them when the railings are attached so I'll assemble them now. So picture 8 shows the parts, cut, & assembled. I have a 1/16" or 1mm brass rod to roll the tubes, a small round punch to cut out the tops. I think you can see the end result in the first couple of tests in the white paper at the beginning of the thread. It's the two round parts behind the "gun tub".

Till next week. Thanks to all who are watching!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Lct-6-hull-details-1.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-2.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-3.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-4.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-5.jpg  

Lct-6-hull-details-6.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-7.jpg   Lct-6-hull-details-8.jpg  

Last edited by Doubting Thomas; 11-01-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting Thomas View Post
In the past week I have added the two winches to the bow area. They are totally incorrect from my research on the internet on the LCT/LSU. But I've left them as a homage to what inspired this project in the first place.

Starboard structures are in place as well as some of the detail fittings of the various vents and stacks. The anchor "cable" and spool are attached to the winch and anchor glued to the cotton thread painted black (Might be a bit thick/out of scale).

Photos 3,4,5 show the large "muffler" like looking equipment. I saw some photographs on the net showing what appears to be water being squirted out of them. So I'm guessing that these parts are "Bilge" pumps.

Number 6 is the search light and then attached to the bridge structure. The beginning of the many deck railings has begun. Somehow the catwalk between the starboard and port structures is 1/8" too long. So I cut it to fit between the bridge and the winch on the port side but then the railing posts became unbalanced. So it will need some fixing. I'm adjusting the parts in my CAD drawing as I run into problems that I find.

I better do the double capstans that hold the mooring ropes when the LCT is at the dock. It will be harder to glue them when the railings are attached so I'll assemble them now. So picture 8 shows the parts, cut, & assembled. I have a 1/16" or 1mm brass rod to roll the tubes, a small round punch to cut out the tops. I think you can see the end result in the first couple of tests in the white paper at the beginning of the thread. It's the two round parts behind the "gun tub".

Till next week. Thanks to all who are watching!
Jeff
great progress
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 AM

Nice work so far, Jeff. I love to see scratch building of ship models, and between you and Fred, we have two very different and interesting such projects underway.

I appreciate your narrative, explaining your work and your research, including your interpretation of the images of actual LCTs.

Don
Google Adsense