PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-26-2015, 03:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
USS Arkansas

Hi all, I have started work on the Modelik USS Akansas. I did a quick review of the model here,Modelik USS Arkansas
The USS Arkansas and three other monitors were ordered in response to the Spanish naval threat just prior to the Spanish-American war. The navy didn't want them, but politicians in ports and cities up rivers feared the Spanish steaming in and bombarding them, and put pressure on the government to do something to protect them. Battleships were used for a while, but as this was a waste of resources, construction started on the monitors. Although they had 12" guns like battleships, the rest of the design was half-hearted. They were designed to placate the public while not wasting too much money.They were also given names of states, as were battleships at the time.
By the time they were finished the threat had passed, and none of them did anything of significance.They later had their state names taken off them. The Arkansas became the Ozark. They spent most of their careers as training ships, and later submarine tenders. They were suited to this because of their extremely low freeboard.
I like this quote about the Arkansas class monitors by Alexander C. Brown, writing in the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Historical transactions,
"Monitors found their final employment as submarine tenders in World War I for which their low freeboard hulls made them well suited. It is significant to note, however, that in this humble capacity they were ministering to the needs of that type of craft which had logically replaced them for as initially envisaged monitors were designed to combine heavy striking power with concealment and the presentation of a negligible target area ..."
I have decided to make this a waterline model, to emphasise the extremely low freeboard. Even my wife noticed it as she passed by the table I was working at. I have replaced the plated deck with planks, but otherwise I plan to build more or less as provided, adding a few extras if I can sustain my interest. I like researching the history of the models I build, and as the history of this class of ships is so dull, it is a bit hard to get excited, I have discovered.
Detail is simple, which is fine. Accuracy doesn't seem so great at the moment, such as door placement. but I wont let that bother me on this build.
Here is where I am up to. Fit of parts has been excellent so far.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arkansas-img_0173.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0174.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0175.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0176.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0177.jpg  

USS Arkansas-img_0179.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0181.jpg   USS Arkansas-img_0182.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Robert,
The history may be dull, but your work is always interesting.
Good luck with Arkansas.
Mike
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 AM

Thanks Mike and Fred. I have done a little more work. The turret and guns were fun to make. The parts fit very well. I added an extra layer half way down the gun barrels to give them a more accurate shape, then painted them black. I also started on the buff/yellow layer of the hull. It is very flimsy at the moment with all the little windows cut out, but it should be strong enough when the top deck is in place. The next step is to make four smaller guns and other bits for the middle deck.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arkansas-image.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 AM

the top deck template sitting loosely on the top.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arkansas-image.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2015, 10:03 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Sharp clean work Robert.
Mike
Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 PM

How diid you mark and layout the deck, Robert?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:21 AM

Thanks Mike. Fred, I simply cut all the details carefully from the original deck, then laid the original deck over the planked one.The holes created by cutting out the details provided the template for placing the details.
There is one detail that I think is wrong. The stairs which are to the side and rear of the turret go from side to centre. There is what appears to be an old navy drawing showing this layout. But after studying pictures I think they went from front to back, the same as the ones in front of the gun. They have a white wall surrounding them. I guess this was to keep the water that would easily wash over the deck out. As I glued the stair print from side to centre before I discovered this, I will just leave them that way.

Robert
Old 10-29-2015, 06:37 AM

That's a neat technique.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:25 AM

I have done a little more work on the Arkansas. I have to make three more guns, one for each corner. They are very simplified but are nearly invisible once the deck is on. I will keep plugging away every now and then in the hope I start to enjoy this. Hopefully that will be once this deck is on and I can put some bigger pieces on such as the bridge and the funnel.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
USS Arkansas-image.jpg  
Google Adsense